pbkid6974

300 blkout build?

well it seems that it would be pretty much a waste of metal and unnecessary added weight to get a 16 inch barrel so 14.5 it is.

and njpilot thanks for the link but i'm not too familiar with cmmg. i'd rather stick with the names in the top tier of the AR world. i've seen too many mid grade products that are "good enough" fail to even think about skimping. it may take me longer to complete but in the end i get a much better result.

It's not notable out of a 14.5" or longer barrel. It's a .30-30 or a 7.62x39, both of which are uninspiring by modern standards compared with 5.56 for a MSR type firearm, but also more expensive than both.

It's advantages are good terminal ballistics out of short barrels (vs. 5.56), complete compatibility with AR15 in every way except barrel, and ability to go subsonic without changing anything except ammo.

If you are not using short barrels or shooting suppressed then 5.56 is superior, even shooting the cheapest available ammo/heads.

T Bill,

Good article. I am still into the 300 BLK. It would be much better if I could just build an SBR or even AR pistol with it. I plan to do just that after I brake free from NJ, but I would sure like to get into the cartridge sooner and thus the interest in the 14.5". It also seems to make since to get a pistol gas length barrel just in case I move and then want to have the barrel cut down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not notable out of a 14.5" or longer barrel. It's a .30-30 or a 7.62x39, both of which are uninspiring by modern standards compared with 5.56 for a MSR type firearm, but also more expensive than both.

It's advantages are good terminal ballistics out of short barrels (vs. 5.56), complete compatibility with AR15 in every way except barrel, and ability to go subsonic without changing anything except ammo.

If you are not using short barrels or shooting suppressed then 5.56 is superior, even shooting the cheapest available ammo/heads.

thats pretty much what i'm looking at it as. and 5.56 (.223) is not really a notable round in the sporting world. its actually quite anemic and really only good for small/medium varmit. sure it can take a hog, but .300 blk will do the job much better inside 200 yards from what i can gather.

and since i really wont gain anything froma 16 inch barrel, i can save a few ounces by going with the 14.5.

any suggestions on barrel makers?

I went with a Satern Machining barrel in 14.5". Unfortunately I'm still waiting on my brake so I can't comment on how the barrel shoots. However from the outside it seems nice enough. Well made, everything fit up as expected, no surprises. I'll let you know how it goes at the range when I can actually get it there.

C

I went with a Satern Machining barrel in 14.5". Unfortunately I'm still waiting on my brake so I can't comment on how the barrel shoots. However from the outside it seems nice enough. Well made, everything fit up as expected, no surprises. I'll let you know how it goes at the range when I can actually get it there.C

my only issue with them is they are button rifled and not CHF. It looks like my only option at this point is noveske.

I finally tracked down a 14.5" Noveske 300BLK barrel. I called Noveske and learned that the last shipment went out 2-3 weeks ago to Curt's Discount Shooter's Supply in Portland, OR. I called Curt at 503-819-5881 and was told it will be in the mail today. I asked about others and learned that he still has a couple 16" barrels if anyone else is interested, but unfortunately he only had the one 14.5". Pricing was normal, and shipping was only $10.

With regard to the Noveske 14.5" barrels I learned (from Tanya at Noveske) that the SS barrels are good to go with Super or Subsonic unsurpressed however the CL barrels will not cycle subs without a can. As far as the next shipment of 14.5" Tanya says to try calling back in a month or so and she can pass an update. She is planning on the next shipment going to Rainier, DSG, and one other I don't recall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder why the CL will not cycle un-suppressed subsonic while the SS will.

Regardless, I bit the bullet and purchased the 14.5 Rainier Select. I'm going to try a few different types of rounds to see what happens. I basically have 90 days to test.

I wonder why the CL will not cycle un-suppressed subsonic while the SS will.

Regardless, I bit the bullet and purchased the 14.5 Rainier Select. I'm going to try a few different types of rounds to see what happens. I basically have 90 days to test.

I am not sure what the difference is in the CL and SS. I should have asked on the phone, but I could tell she was busy and I did not want to take too much of her time. My guess would be it may have to do with the size of the gas port. Since I went with the SS, it should not be a factor. I also have not seen any of these in CL anyway (even back ordered).