pbkid6974

300 blkout build?

i'll be following along on this as i have another stripped lower that is dying for some attention.  From what i've read, most people seem to be a fan of the ballistics, the rounds capabilities, the familiar platform, etc. the only negative i've come across is that the ammunition is...expensive.  But if you believe in you get what you pay for, maybe not so much.  it'll be interesting to see what people have to say.  i know so far i'm a fan...

I'm looking to build my first 300 BLK also. From what I have found out there it seems there are more options coming to market, but they do seem to be around $1-$1.25/round. This is one I would want to reload for. If you have .223 brass then it seems fairly easy to make the 300 BLK brass. After watching some YouTube videos I have learned that there are a large number of bullets one can use. So reloading can make this less expensive.

Built a 300Blk about a year ago, I love it.  I was looking for something in the AR platform, but with a larger bullet, but not the 7.62x51 (.308).  In the past I have used 7.62x39 and really liked it for hunting. Years ago there was an NRA article on how to load a 150 grain 30 caliber in to a X39 brass platform and use it for hunting.  This was my ticket to using a "ballistic" 30 caliber type round with better hitting power without going into the 308 category.  I have an x39 AR upper, and a bolt, so all this just felt like the way to go.

The 300BLK keeps me in the 30 caliber which I like.  Can load from 110 to 225 grain with enough stopping power for the game I hunt.  Adds a new dimension to hog hunting which I will be trying out this spring in Florida. Going to be a 300BLK vs 7.62X39 competition with ARs.  I reload so making brass is simple enough just a little time consuming.  I tend to stick to common calibers for ease and reloading.  22LR, 17HMR, .223., .30 is all that I use now.  So anything that fits into these are welcome.  This way I don't have to stock a lot components.  

Plenty of choices with 30 caliber.  Have pulled M80 147gr heads, using 223 with split necks to make 300BLK brass so new life to old cases.  Same primer as 223.  Different power on supersonic rounds but the x39 uses A1680 as well (If I can find any).  Can't see why I should not have done it.  I have not purchased any ammo for this yet, made all my own.  Just bought a box of Sierra MK175 and some H-110 Powder.  So ammo cost is real low right now, not any more than other 30 caliber rounds.  I have seen 223 brass with bad necks for 7 cents a round.  Primers 3.5 cents, Powder about 7 cents and heads .10 to .40 cents. So about .30 to .60 cents a round.

I went with a 16 barrel.  Cycling can be an issue as the current powder choices I feel do not give the full potential to the round.  Shorter barrels may create issues unless you go to a pistol length gas system.  There is a 300BLK forum moderated by a person that was involved with the development of the round. Lots of good info there. http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/

I'm wondering about barrels too. I would like to shoot subsonic and supersonic loads both without a can (this is NJGF). I'm considering either the Noveske 14.5" with pistol gas system or Rainier Arms Ultra Match 14.5" with carbine gas system. I'm confused with regard to the gas systems. I hear that less then a 16" barrel may require a pistol length, but I'm sure Rainier knows what they are doing and they are running the carbine length. Noveske states that they may not cycle subsonics without a can. This statement is on all of the Noveskes and they all seem to be pistol length.

Thoughts on these two barrels or others I should consider over these?

Thanks

I'm wondering about barrels too. I would like to shoot subsonic and supersonic loads both without a can (this is NJGF). I'm considering either the Noveske 14.5" with pistol gas system or Rainier Arms Ultra Match 14.5" with carbine gas system. I'm confused with regard to the gas systems. I hear that less then a 16" barrel may require a pistol length, but I'm sure Rainier knows what they are doing and they are running the carbine length. Noveske states that they may not cycle subsonics without a can. This statement is on all of the Noveskes and they all seem to be pistol length.

Thoughts on these two barrels or others I should consider over these?

Thanks

yea  thats what im trying to figure out. i dont know if i would be able to tune it with the buffer like with a 5.56 ar either. this really is a whole new game.

I've exchanged multiple emails with the folks at Rainier. I'm also interested in their 14.5 barrel but was concerned about the gas system. They've assured me that it will run without issues with their barrels even though it has a carbine gas system. I've also asked the difference between their Select, Match and Ultra Match barrels. The accuracy will go up when going with Match or Ultra Match but the draw back is the barrel life will be shorter. The Select is already guaranteed to be sub-MOA. I'm not using this for matches so I may stick with the Select although the Match is only $40 more.

I've thought about the Noveske barrel but I can't justify spending that kind of coin on the barrel. Another option in the 14.5 space was the Wilson Combat. I haven't really seen these in stock but I've gotten emails recently on other 300AAC barrels in stock by them so it may just be a matter of time.

Are there any pros/cons of going with a 16" barrel instead of the 14.5" barrel? I would definitely have more options here.

From what I read, you should go with a carbine buffer.

I've exchanged multiple emails with the folks at Rainier. I'm also interested in their 14.5 barrel but was concerned about the gas system. They've assured me that it will run without issues with their barrels even though it has a carbine gas system. I've also asked the difference between their Select, Match and Ultra Match barrels. The accuracy will go up when going with Match or Ultra Match but the draw back is the barrel life will be shorter. The Select is already guaranteed to be sub-MOA. I'm not using this for matches so I may stick with the Select although the Match is only $40 more.

I've thought about the Noveske barrel but I can't justify spending that kind of coin on the barrel. Another option in the 14.5 space was the Wilson Combat. I haven't really seen these in stock but I've gotten emails recently on other 300AAC barrels in stock by them so it may just be a matter of time.

Are there any pros/cons of going with a 16" barrel instead of the 14.5" barrel? I would definitely have more options here.

From what I read, you should go with a carbine buffer.

im more interested in longer barrel life than sub-MOA accuracy. i cant shoot that well and i don't think i ever will. but i can shoot fast and run my equipment hard. so i would be interested in a CHF barrel more than a match.

im more interested in longer barrel life than sub-MOA accuracy. i cant shoot that well and i don't think i ever will. but i can shoot fast and run my equipment hard. so i would be interested in a CHF barrel more than a match.

My thoughts exactly but I think you've just solidified my decision on the Select over the Match or Ultra Match. My only other thinking is barrel size. 14.5 or 16.

I called Rainier to ask about the carbine gas system on their 14.5" 300BLK. The rep I spoke with basically told me that it should work fine, however subsonic loads may not have enough gas to cycle the action without a can on it. He then explained that if that is a concern I could alway just open the gas port more on the barrel. I asked what negative side effects that would introduce, like too much gads on hot supersonic loads. He basically said there would be no negatives. I explained that this info is suspect as I would then expect they would have cut the gas hole to the larger size when they made it. Something is not adding up here. Hen he explained that by saying that these barrels are older so that is why. I stopped trying to make since of his after that and thanked him for his time. I have had great experiences in the past with Rainier's products, but I have not tried their barrels. I really wanted to go with one of their 300 BLK and save the cost difference from the Noveske, but now I'm thinking I need to just find a pistol gassed 14.5". Any pointers other then Noveske? It seems that most people go 16", but since we in NJ must pinned the muzzle brake anyway I would like to go with the 14.5".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Should be GTG for hogs inside 200 yards.

for any of the 3 correct? it probably makes more sense to go with the 300 blk. ill have the brass from 5.56 and be able to share bullets with my 30-06. sure it wont be much good past 200 yards but i'm not really looking for anything past 200 yards.

for any of the 3 correct? it probably makes more sense to go with the 300 blk. ill have the brass from 5.56 and be able to share bullets with my 30-06. sure it wont be much good past 200 yards but i'm not really looking for anything past 200 yards.

Yep, all three will do just fine.  If you want to go beyond that, 6.5 Grendel is the way to roll.  But the logistics of 300BLK make it a pretty convincing sell for your application.