302w

School me on welders

302w,

I don't know where you live, but have you considered borrowing/renting a welder if you are only going to use it once or twice a year?

Personally I usually use a 120v Lincoln MIG, and find that it is super easy with my HF autotinting mask. I also have a old 240v stick machine, that sits and collects dust.

But whatever you decide, make sure you wear proper clothes and good eye protection. The arc will give you a nasty burn if you aren't careful.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Either buy something halfway decent, or don't buy one. There are certain things you can't get cheap on. Why not enroll in a local votech program where you can bring the car and work on it as part of the class. I know people that have done this.

I appreciate the input guys. Also, thank you especially 

I'm either going to borrow a welder, or buy one from HF. I know a lot of you guys suggest "buy once, cry once", and while I'm the same way, I absolutely cannot justify buying a nice welder.

Also, you're right dh-wp. I flashed myself real bad once when I was learning to weld and it was not a fun day. 

Edit: For kicks and giggles, someone told me that it is possible to weld using car batteries, jumper cables, and welding rod. I looked it up, I dare not try it but its fascinating that its possible.

Take the car to a bodyshop and have them weld the body panels in the thing.

You cannot stick weld body panels. It is an exercise in frustration at best. Especially if you are buying the cheapest crappiest welder available.

You can braze them, you can gas weld them, you can MIG weld them, you can TIG weld them. Hell on some you can go really old-school and lead them in if you want.

There is a reason why no bodyshop in the history of bodyshops has ever used a stick welder for bodywork. Stick welding is for thick steel. Thin stuff is a PITA, and you need to whip that electrode around to spread the heat quickly so you don't burn through. I know this from experience, welding on 10 gauge sheet metal. I've burned through a couple boxes of 6011 on my old Lincoln AC-225 "tombstone" welder.