Sign in to follow this  
NJKen

Has anyone tried CFE pistol powder yet?

I have been using winchester autocomp in my 40 sw loads for a couple years now.  I dont shoot a comped pistol but it has proven the best for my needs.  I do get a reaonable ammount of copper fowling though.  Hodgdon just came out with the CFE pistol that has charge weight, pressure, and velocity very close to autocomp.  If I can find it I am going to give it a try.  Am I going to me the first? 

Ken

I haven't tried "CFE Pistol".   I have been using CFE 223 for a while.

CFE 223 I have found versatile and meters very well.  Velocities are also decent.

If "Pistol" is as good I think you will be happy.

I think the "Copper Fouling Eliminator" part I think is a gimick.

I haven't tried "CFE Pistol".   I have been using CFE 223 for a while.

CFE 223 I have found versatile and meters very well.  Velocities are also decent.

If "Pistol" is as good I think you will be happy.

I think the "Copper Fouling Eliminator" part I think is a gimick.

Thats why I am interested in it.  I notices a little bit of a difference with the CFE part.  I see less blue/green on the patch when I exclusively use it.  I the "eliminator" though.

Ken

Been looking for it. Cannot find it anywhere yet.  Interested in trying it in 9MM 124s FN and 147s RN.   However not going to wait forever for it to show up on the market.

Me either.  If/when I do find it I will give it a try and update this thread.  For now I will keep loading with autocomp since I have a few pounds.

Ken

The CFE 223 is great powder for the 223.  It may shine in other calibers also but 223 is all I have loaded.  It flows like water in the meter and is very consistent in both velocity and accuracy.  It greatly reduces copper fouling but does not eliminate it. 

Added on edit:

And most importantly...its fairly clean burning

Ken

Thanks for the info Ken.  I'm excited to try it out

Start about at the mid charge in the data (or at least dont load too many at the low load).  I had quite a few fail to cycle when I started at the bottom.  That stuff really seemed to come alive about half way between mid and top loads in my AR's.

As for the CFE Pistol... That stuff must be made out of unobtanium.  Im just going to shelf that idea for now and revisit it if I ever find any.

Ken