Cmor1701d

Bad batch of Federal 556?

Kinda makes you think if they are telling the truth. Are you embarrased? Your "buddy" own the shop? Someone else load the mags for you and your not even sure that they came out of that box?

Just let us know the LGS that you used or dont post about this crap. All you have done so far is get a bunch of views, several replies with people trying to help you identify the issue, and people asking where you got it from. You have not added anything to the forum with this post. Either step up and let us know where you got it. Or can a mod or someone lock this because its going no where.

Maybe before he bad-mouths a local business he wants to make sure it was actually an issue with the local business?  Well he said it himself that he planned on calling federal and didnt get to it yesterday.  While im all for locking uselss threads, give the guy a chance jeez.  If he never updates the thread then it is what it is.  Buy i dont get why this guy would do it to just try to give bad press to federal and he obviously isnt doing to bad mouth the lgs since he hasnt even told us where it came from.

Don't think the op is blatantly lying to you guys. Maybe wait for him to get to the bottom of it on his en before blasting a place on the forums. Sometimes you guys are like rabid animals... Damn

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

Folks,  the blow outs were most likely from the Freedom Munitions batch, but I can't prove that.  The full box that I just opened was from a batch I picked up at Heritage Guild in Branchburg.  I just bought one more box from them a week ago and it has the same lot stamp on it as the box I pictured.

For those of you who spend half your life here, I work for a living and get very little time to be on this forum.  I'm posting this on my lunch break which will be all of the 20 minutes I can afford to take.  I normally get on the forum late evening (10-11pm) when I have some down time before hitting the sack.  I'm an admin on another non-gun related forum for my other hobby (marine fish keeping) and that takes a part of my day too.

I'm trying to find some time to call Federal about the '13 batch and see if there is a problem with that.

I really do appreciate this forum and the flow of information that occurs here.  I hope to meet more of you as time goes on.

Thanks for all the advice and even the comments ;-)

No, the box with mismatched head stamps came out out of a loaded mag. It was probably mostly from Freedom Munitions. The exception would be the rounds with the FC 13 head stamp which matches the full box. I'll try to get to HG this weekend, probably the Easton store with the range. All ammo comes into that store and is then distributed to the NJ stores anyway. I'm pretty sure HG will exchange it. They may even open the other two boxes to check them. Maybe run them through one of their rentals as a test.

No, the box with mismatched head stamps came out out of a loaded mag. It was probably mostly from Freedom Munitions. The exception would be the rounds with the FC 13 head stamp which matches the full box. I'll try to get to HG this weekend, probably the Easton store with the range. All ammo comes into that store and is then distributed to the NJ stores anyway. I'm pretty sure HG will exchange it. They may even open the other two boxes to check them. Maybe run them through one of their rentals as a test.

ah... it should be able to tell which ones gave you problems... the reloads probably wont have crimp marks around the primer... a LOT (mostly all) of the federal ammo I get is crimped.. I noticed some is crimped and some is not... I am assuming the reloads are not crimped.. 

Ok, just got back from a range trip. 3 mags each of PPU, PMC, and Federal and 1 mag (almost) of Freedom Munitions reloads. The Freedom ammo had 2 blown primers in the first 10 rounds. No problems with any other ammo. Cleared the primer(s) from the lower and no more issues with the AR.

Trigger still doesn't feel quite right so thinking about replacing that.

Ok, just got back from a range trip. 3 mags each of PPU, PMC, and Federal and 1 mag (almost) of Freedom Munitions reloads. The Freedom ammo had 2 blown primers in the first 10 rounds. No problems with any other ammo. Cleared the primer(s) from the lower and no more issues with the AR.

Trigger still doesn't feel quite right so thinking about replacing that.

So from the thread so far, it sounds like the problem is you mixed up ammo when shooting, and blamed federal for the problems with freedom munitions ammo. 

BTW, if you are blowing primers, the popular place for them to wind up is in the trigger group. Check you don't have on in there getting in the way of things. 

So from the thread so far, it sounds like the problem is you mixed up ammo when shooting, and blamed federal for the problems with freedom munitions ammo. 

BTW, if you are blowing primers, the popular place for them to wind up is in the trigger group. Check you don't have on in there getting in the way of things. 

Or perhaps just the anvil from a primer in there.  I have had that happen before.  I had to take my trigger group apart to get that sucker out of there.  There are a lot of good videos on youtube for taking a lower apart.  Its not as hard as it appears and it will give you an opportunity to clean and lube everything in there.  You would be surprised how much crud lives in the trigger group and hammer pivot/springs.

Ken