NJKen

308 case head seperation

I got my first one yesterday with my M1A and I could net believe it.  It cracked 2/3 of the way around and made a giant sooty mess out of itself.  Nothing bad happened but it kinda freaked me out.  It was a light load of 41gr H4895 under a 168gn matchking in 3 fired LC brass.  I cut open a bunch of other pieces from the batch and found most of them to have the groove of doom inside about 1/2" up from the head.  The concerning part is that there was no show on the outside of the case.  I do regularly drag a paperclip inside the cases looking for signs of case head separation. 

My main reason for posting this is that I have other batches of brass that have 5 loadings on them and they show no sign of any damage.  I cut a few open and checked.  all good.  Now for the part everyone should know about.  Only the LC 11 nato brass was coming apart.  The 12 and the mixed I have are absolutely fine.If anyone here has a batch of LC 11 check it carefully.  I know all my 11's came from the same batch of ammo I purchased a couple of years ago so I will guess they came from the same production run.  I just canned so much of my brass I need to find some more.  I dont want to hurt my favorite riffle. 

As soon as I can find a good way to stain these cases so the ring of doom shows up on the camera Ill post some pics.

Ken

Edit: Pic added.

post-2884-0-87811700-1393255517_thumb.jpg

I recently got a M1A and started to reload a lot of my previously fired 308's from my bolt gun. I was also given a bunch of once fired 308 from a LEO buddy who is a range master and collected it over the years, but never got into reloading and gave it to me.

Anywho, I found that the Federal cases seems to split in the neck, after doing a full resize. I am 90% sure this batch of brass had between three and four firings from my 308. I never load too hot and my loads tend to be in the middle of the load data range. I go for accuracy and brass life.  None of the Winchester or Remington cases did. FWIW - I have a RCBS motorized trimmer that has a 3 way cutting head. I just found it odd that the Federal cases were the only ones that split. I shot about 100 rounds this past Thursday and will resize and inspect those 'test cases' to see what gives. I know I have a bunch of LC somewhere around, but just didn't want to deal with the staked primers just yet.

I recently got a M1A and started to reload a lot of my previously fired 308's from my bolt gun. I was also given a bunch of once fired 308 from a LEO buddy who is a range master and collected it over the years, but never got into reloading and gave it to me.

Anywho, I found that the Federal cases seems to split in the neck, after doing a full resize. I am 90% sure this batch of brass had between three and four firings from my 308. I never load too hot and my loads tend to be in the middle of the load data range. I go for accuracy and brass life.  None of the Winchester or Remington cases did. FWIW - I have a RCBS motorized trimmer that has a 3 way cutting head. I just found it odd that the Federal cases were the only ones that split. I shot about 100 rounds this past Thursday and will resize and inspect those 'test cases' to see what gives. I know I have a bunch of LC somewhere around, but just didn't want to deal with the staked primers just yet.

Give me your deprimed sized cases and I'll swage the pockets for you.

If you anneal the cases they wont split. Federal cases in general are allegedly the weaker of the bunch.  If you anneal they will give you several reloads.  Where I sit rite now, the FC cases are more reliable than the LC11 cases are.  I spent half a day cutting up my brass and I am really dissapointed in how much of it I had to cull.  none of the FC cases had the separation groove.  Live and learn I suppose! 

FWIW, If you shoot a lot with the M1A the Giraud case trimmer and annealer will become your best friends.  I love both of mine.

Ken

If your gonna do it that way invest in the tempilaq and learn how to use it.  I tried a few of the alternative methods and consistency is very difficult to obtain.  Also, if you make the brass glow you have already gone way to far.  Again, use the tempelaq.  I shoot enough that the Giraud case annealer was just about mandatory for me since I have limited time to myself to load.

Ken

Hey Ken, are theses FC stamped 762 M1A '11? I was checking some sorted brass I came across a container of them. I'm in Jury Duty and can't upload the pic I took.

The bad ones are all LC 11.  The federals actually seem to be holding up better.  I know it is usually the other way around.  I have a set of the FC M1A 11 that are on their 5th and final load.  They still look good I just wont take em any further than that.

Ken

The bad ones are all LC 11.  The federals actually seem to be holding up better.  I know it is usually the other way around.  I have a set of the FC M1A 11 that are on their 5th and final load.  They still look good I just wont take em any further than that.

Ken

And that is why I asked...I figured the FC's I had must have been the supplier of the LC's. 

Fork - 8 to 10 reloads on M1A brass? Not being a dick, but how tight are your primer pockets at that point?

And that is why I asked...I figured the FC's I had must have been the supplier of the LC's.

Fork - 8 to 10 reloads on M1A brass? Not being a dick, but how tight are your primer pockets at that point?

Sorry I'm stuck on my remington 700 I disregarded your m1a question, lol I do own an m1a also but I only shoot factory loads in that, my handloads are for sub moa 700 rounds