Sign in to follow this  
Melgamatic

Help the Sea Scouts

The Sea Scouts is a special division of the Boy Scouts of America, dedicated to teaching young men and women seamanship, but also the values of the Boy Scouts of America.  We are lucky to have several Sea Scout ships active in NJ, although they are a small fraction of the number operating 20-30 years ago.

I am an adult leader for Sea Scout Ship 228, chartered in Rahway and operating out of our Seabase in Linden (on Tremley Point Rd).  Our main vessel is a 61' former US Army T-Boat, built in 1953.  The scouts take the Sea Dart II out most of the year, for frequent weekend training trips, and also the summer "long cruise" where the scouts and leaders take the boat out for 10 days!  At the same time, they follow an advancement plan that leads them to the Quartermaster Award.  The Quartermaster Award is the equivalent of Eagle (and from my significant experience, much harder to attain).  Since scouts can stay in Sea Scouting until they are 21, many scouts earn their Eagle and then continue in Sea Scouting during college.

The Sea Dart II is in trouble.  Although the Indiegogo campaign is less specific, we have a patched a hole in the steel hull.  It's safe enough, but will be an issue during the annual Coast Guard inspection, and we won't take the long cruise with the current patch.  Additionally, our starboard diesel generator has a cracked head, and the fresh water pump on the Buda Lanova diesel engine needs major repairs.  All of this came unexpectedly.  We usually  plan haul outs every 2-3 years, but this year's is unplanned.  We need to get the ship out of the water, fix the hole, gauge the whole hull to make sure there aren't any other thin spots, repair the generator and the fresh water pump.

We have started an Indiegogo campaign to raise the $10-$12,000 necessary.

If you can donate to help Sea Scouting in NJ remain strong, that will be great.  As important, if you could pass the link around to anyone you feel might support Scouting, the Sea Scouts, or young people learning seamanship it would be greatly appreciated.  

Your donations are tax deducible, and you will get a receipt from the Indiegogo processor showing the tax deductibility.  Funds are being collected by The Sea Dart II, Inc.  This is a non-profit 501c3 organization whose sole purpose is to support Ship 228 and the Sea Dart II.

Here is the campaign:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/haul-out-the-sea-dart-ii

We all have a lot to complain about in NJ, but this is an activity for our youth of which we can all be very proud!

-Dave

I guess this is different than the sea cadets. I was with then for 4 years and they were great. I did two weeks every summer aboard a coast guard vessel and 2 weeks every winter aboard a naval vessel. We were stationed out of naval weapons station earl pier side and had about 6 decommissioned trains we used as our headquarters. I urge any kids to join organizations like this. They are absolutely awesome. I'm sure things have changed because back then we wore the same uniforms as the navy with the exact same id cards. Had free run of the base and used everything they had to offer including checking out govt vehicles! Those were the days!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sea Cadets are a little different; they are actually a USN organization, and really a junior NROTC. 

Sea Scouts are part of the venturing/exploring part of Boy Scouts.  It's open the men and women 14 to 21 years old.  The program is a little bit less military-oriented, and a little more merchant seaman oriented.  For example, our Skipper (like a Scoutmaster) is a young (mid-30's) guy who is just finishing up his full Unlimited Master certification;  he drives the super giant container ships, which is pretty cool.  They still do some drilling, and wear uniforms, etc.

It's a good program.  I'm happy our campaign is up to $875 after the first 3 days.

We're up to $3700 with 27 funders.

If you are on FB or any forums that might be interested, would share this link with your friends?  Getting shares and likes is the best way to get the message widely distributed.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/haul-out-the-sea-dart-ii/x/6710405

We're trying a big social media push between 2pm and 7pm today.  I'm not asking you for donations, but it would be great if you could post this link on your Facebook timeline or other forums/social media things you use!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/haul-out-the-sea-dart-ii/x/6710405

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/haul-out-the-sea-dart-ii/x/6710405