Sign in to follow this  
sosa9999

Bolt Carrier only? .. My first AR

This is my first build and first AR

Looking for any feedback that may point me into the right direction. I purchase a Lothar Walther VAR.TAC AR-15 LW-50 Barrel 20 inch .223 1/8 inch twist standard rifling with 1/2-28 TPI threads Rifle Barrel that came with a bolt. So now I just need the bolt carrier. I been looking at a few, but would like some input. 

Fail Zero https://www.failzero.com/buynow/m16-4-products/full-auto-carrier-assembly-detail.html

Ice Arms http://www.icearms.us/products.cfm?show=858

Aims V2 

WMD https://www.primaryarms.com/WMD-NiB-X-Nickel-Boron-Bolt-Carrier-Assembly-Ful-p/nibxbc556fa.htm

Also what you guys recommend for a muzzle break ? 

Thank you for any input I get. 

I see you have chosen a bolt carrier with an upscale coating.  Any particular reason?  Do fitted Walther bolts come with a similar coating?  I would think the first choice would be a full auto or ar-15 type carrier with a fully shrouded firing pin area, then the coating if you wish.  Some like the coatings, some do not see any reason for them.  I have chromed, Nibx, and phosphate.  I have switched to FireClean for lubrication and find that none of the special coatings see to make a difference.  All seem to wipe clean very easily.  I would choose a full auto carrier first, and the  coatings you like.  My latest build was a repurposed Colt phosphate BCG, saw no reason to go otherwise  

I see you have chosen a bolt carrier with an upscale coating.  Any particular reason?  Do fitted Walther bolts come with a similar coating?  I would think the first choice would be a full auto or ar-15 type carrier with a fully shrouded firing pin area, then the coating if you wish.  Some like the coatings, some do not see any reason for them.  I have chromed, Nibx, and phosphate.  I have switched to FireClean for lubrication and find that none of the special coatings see to make a difference.  All seem to wipe clean very easily.  I would choose a full auto carrier first, and the  coatings you like.  My latest build was a repurposed Colt phosphate BCG, saw no reason to go otherwise  

I see you have chosen a bolt carrier with an upscale coating.  Any particular reason?

Just that they are easier to clean. 

Do fitted Walther bolts come with a similar coating? 

no

Yes I do have bolts with upscale coatings.  I believed they had some merit (easier to clean, runs smoother).  Drank the "Kool-Aid" so to speak.  When I switched to Fire Clean lube most of the reasons I switched for went away.  Do they look nice, yes.  Are they necessary, probably not.  Your choice.  All depends on how much you want to put into your build.  I have used Young, PSA, Colt, RRA, WMD, and not had any reason to date to pick one over the other.  A good quality bolt carrier will more than likely be ok with the bolt supplied by Walther, that's all.  PSA FA carrier, cam bolt, firing pin, and cotter pin, $85.  Match it up and your GTG.  Today I would probably save the money for parts that would really improve the build, charging handle, handguard, glass, trigger first.

Yes I do have bolts with upscale coatings.  I believed they had some merit (easier to clean, runs smoother).  Drank the "Kool-Aid" so to speak.  When I switched to Fire Clean lube most of the reasons I switched for went away.  Do they look nice, yes.  Are they necessary, probably not.  Your choice.  All depends on how much you want to put into your build.  I have used Young, PSA, Colt, RRA, WMD, and not had any reason to date to pick one over the other.  A good quality bolt carrier will more than likely be ok with the bolt supplied by Walther, that's all.  PSA FA carrier, cam bolt, firing pin, and cotter pin, $85.  Match it up and your GTG.  Today I would probably save the money for parts that would really improve the build, charging handle, handguard, glass, trigger first.

I'm already over budget on my build whats a extra few bucks ...   :fie:

Bolt carrier, charging handle, muzzle break and gas block are my last pieces to get. Oh and tools I think .. I hope

glass = Nikon p223 4x12-40

trigger = hiperfire 24C (midwestpx)

upper lower = Aero Precision

Stock = Magpul PRS (midwestpx)

lower kit = PSA 

Barrel = Lothar Walther

Handgaurd = unique-ARs