Newtonian

NY gun group head won't attend Albany rally

Interesting article, on why the top gun guy in NY won't attend an upcoming pro-2A rally:

Excerpt:

King recently laid out his issues for skipping the event-and others like it-in a memo emailed to 100,000 New York gun owners.

King wrote that the rallies are simply "preaching to the choir" and will never convert those who are "rabidly" anti-gun.

The key for gun rights advocates, he said, is to win over those in the middle--"the soccer moms, the guys who say I've never shot a gun but would like to try it and the people worried about their safety."

pro-gun-rally.jpgHANS PENNINK/REUTERSEnlargepro-gun-rally.jpgHANS PENNINK/REUTERSEnlarge

Gun owners and Second Amendment rights advocates at a pro-gun rally at the State Capitol in Albany on Feb. 28.

King fears that effort is being damaged by some rabid 2nd Amendment groups whose rhetoric has become increasingly volatile.

You won't change people's minds, he wrote, by "screaming obscenities at Cuomo and certainly at large rallies where people stand on stage, pound their chest and tell the attendees to prepare for war.

"That frightens the very people we want to attract to our side."

I attended one of these Albany rallies by accident last fall. Just happened to turn a corner during a walk and there it was. Even my wife, lukewarm at best to the 2A, was entertained.

The point Tom King is making is the same one I've made over and over, most recently in response to testimony during the recent legislative hearings.

Pro-gun advocates in anti-gun jurisdictions have to be more savvy about strategy. I watched several of the pro-gun comments and almost all drifted from sound, core messages regarding the actual legislation being considered. None that I recall explained the laws in other states that most of these legislators no doubt visit, e.g. Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Hampshire. A few mentioned concealed carry when that wasn't even the issue.

You want to frighten or completely turn off a NJ democrat who wants magazine capacity limits? Tell him you not only want 15 rounds, but you want to be able to carry it around with you "on the street." 

None of the constitutional or theological arguments work with these people. Never have.

They don't believe in the constitution and they believe even less in God, so why waste your breath?

The point Tom King is making is the same one I've made over and over, most recently in response to testimony during the recent legislative hearings.

Pro-gun advocates in anti-gun jurisdictions have to be more savvy about strategy. I watched several of the pro-gun comments and almost all drifted from sound, core messages regarding the actual legislation being considered. None that I recall explained the laws in other states that most of these legislators no doubt visit, e.g. Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Hampshire. A few mentioned concealed carry when that wasn't even the issue.

More fundamentally, it's also how we appear in front of the MSM. I think that 2nd picture (with Cuomo in it) says it all. That's what the MSM will portray us to be, every time... every time we let them, that is.

We have to present ourselves as professionals.   Business dress, (or at least business casual... no cammo) and no emotional, inflammatory signage, etc.)...  How we look, how we talk, how we present ourselves goes a long way... We don't want to give the MSM one iota of an opportunity to make us look bad.  The real trick being, keeping their attention once we *do* better, looking good.

302w, on 01 Apr 2014 - 10:47 AM, said:

I actually really like the KISS MY ARS

Yeah, that is funny!

I would like to see the NRA get off their collective arses and go-after the legislators in each and every state, stop trying to play defense and go on the offense. Instead of letting them reduce mag capacities from 30 to 15 to 10 to 1, work on reversing the damage already done. Make them prove that reduced mag capacities has reduced crime, etc.......

The only problem is that crime could be down due to other factors (like the legalization of abortion or improved government handouts - improved for those receiving) and they'll claim it's due to reduced magazine count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only problem is that crime could be down due to other factors (like the legalization of abortion or improved government handouts - improved for those receiving) and they'll claim it's due to reduced magazine count.

Ooh... someone has read Freakanomics!

I am of the opinion that the legislators are not stupid.  They trot out the whole gun thing every few years to scare the soccer moms into the voting booth.  

I think that's one of the reasons that Jon Corzine crammed through the One Gun A Month Ban.  I think he was sitting in his office thinking: "Nothing is working.  We need to galvanize the base.  Gun control usually works, but restrictions can't get much tighter - unless we just invent something."

So they came up with One Gun a Month.  It was brilliant when you think about it.  It gave Corzine the chance to show that he was tough on guns and it is genuinely tough to argue why you *need* more than one gun a month anyway.  One politician (I think it was Weinberg) who said : "This law will allow you to still buy up to 13 guns a year so what is your problem?"

And in all honesty it's hard to argue against a law like that when most people in NJ don't think you need one gun, much less 13.  

Think about it this way - if the state passed a law banning the use of ATV's because they were dangerous would you care?   Nope.  You know who would care?  A bunch of NJ Rednecks in Jackson, Cumberland County and way up North in East Milford.  But you can safely step all over them because 90% of the state doesn't care.

It's the same way with guns.  Only 14% of the citizens of this state have their skin in the game.

I am of the opinion that the only way to fight it is to make it so politically suicidal to vote on this way.  We also need to run candidates in the Democratic primary against these guys.  They hate that because then it forces them to spend money in the primary instead of in the general election.

I am of the opinion that the legislators are not stupid.  They trot out the whole gun thing every few years to scare the soccer moms into the voting booth.  

Except it doesn't. They have done exit polling, and virtually nobody comes out as an anti-gun single issue voter. If it is based on anything, it isn't about rallying support at the polls on that issue alone. Heck, they can't make people join their anti groups for free. I've also had this discussion with very left leaning people who are anti-gun, but it really doesn't seem to make it to the level of contributing to decision making. 

Ooh... someone has read Freakanomics!

I am of the opinion that the legislators are not stupid. They trot out the whole gun thing every few years to scare the soccer moms into the voting booth.

I think that's one of the reasons that Jon Corzine crammed through the One Gun A Month Ban. I think he was sitting in his office thinking: "Nothing is working. We need to galvanize the base. Gun control usually works, but restrictions can't get much tighter - unless we just invent something."

So they came up with One Gun a Month. It was brilliant when you think about it. It gave Corzine the chance to show that he was tough on guns and it is genuinely tough to argue why you *need* more than one gun a month anyway. One politician (I think it was Weinberg) who said : "This law will allow you to still buy up to 13 guns a year so what is your problem?"

And in all honesty it's hard to argue against a law like that when most people in NJ don't think you need one gun, much less 13.

Think about it this way - if the state passed a law banning the use of ATV's because they were dangerous would you care? Nope. You know who would care? A bunch of NJ Rednecks in Jackson, Cumberland County and way up North in East Milford. But you can safely step all over them because 90% of the state doesn't care.

It's the same way with guns. Only 14% of the citizens of this state have their skin in the game.

I am of the opinion that the only way to fight it is to make it so politically suicidal to vote on this way. We also need to run candidates in the Democratic primary against these guys. They hate that because then it forces them to spend money in the primary instead of in the general election.

My point is that crime might be down and the politicians will use the tactic of saying it's because they reduced legal magazine capacities - even though it had NOTHING to do with reducing legal magazine capacities; and the majority of voters will buy it and vote for them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... We also need to run candidates in the Democratic primary against these guys.  They hate that because then it forces them to spend money in the primary instead of in the general election.

I agree but that probably means a lot of people will need to change political parties to run and run as a sabateur.