EWC88

Pitman man barricaded himself in house

So I was driving home from school at rowan university and saw SWAT trucks at autozone and cops all down the roads blocking off entrances to neighborhood. Found this link saying a guy barricaded himself in house with apparently guns and cans of gasoline.

http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2014/04/man_barricaded_in_pitman_home.html#incart_river

5457.png By Joe Green/South Jersey Times

Email the author

on April 15, 2014 at 7:02 PM, updated April 15, 2014 at 8:33 PM

PITMAN — Following a standoff with police that lasted roughly two hours, a borough man was taken out of a Pitman home after an incident that began late Tuesday afternoon..

The unnamed man did not have any weapons of which authorities knew and was alone inside the Columbia Avenue home, Pitman Police Chief Robert Zimmerman said.

http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2014/04/pitman_police_man_in_columbia_ave_standoff_alone_unarmed_to_their_knowledge.html#incart_river

That's good he had no weapons. Wonder what time they for him out because SWAT was still at autozone and under cover cops were still blocking entrances to the development when I left class.

So I was driving home from school at rowan university and saw SWAT trucks at autozone and cops all down the roads blocking off entrances to neighborhood. Found this link saying a guy barricaded himself in house with apparently guns and cans of gasoline.

http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2014/04/man_barricaded_in_pitman_home.html#incart_river

No shit, you go to Rowan? Ought to say hi lol. I'm there Mondays and Wednesdays 10-9.

No shit, you go to Rowan? Ought to say hi lol. I'm there Mondays and Wednesdays 10-9.

Lol yea, theres actually I think a couple members on here that go to Rowan. I'm there Tues/Thurs 9:25-10:40, then I have night classes on Tues/Weds/Thurs...tons of fun lol

What is happening in South Jersey? Every other month something whacky down there..........

Agree, I have no clue whats going on, if people need help in their lives there are much EASIER/SMARTER ways to do this.

Lol yea, theres actually I think a couple members on here that go to Rowan. I'm there Tues/Thurs 9:25-10:40, then I have night classes on Tues/Weds/Thurs...tons of fun lol

What's your major? I'd like to meet some other NJGF members there lol. I thought I was the only one who browsed NJGF in classes.

I do think I'm the only one with an Arms-and-Ammo sticker on the back of my laptop.

Not really trying to appear heartless or so, I always struggled with the whole idea of stand-offs.

I still remember one of the episodes of NatGeo "Alaska State Troopers" about storming into the house after a whole-day standoff after filling this house with tear gas. In that case

a) a guy was in the house alone - no hostages etc.

b) as far as I remember, no single shot was fired by that man

I know nothing about this particular situation in Pitman, but as long as there is no imminent threat to anyone (no hostage in a barricaded house) what's the reason of blocking roads, bringing the whole army to the town etc.?

In the worst case scenario a guy will just blow his brain off. Sad, but not really tragic. Another bad outcome might be him setting the house on fire. Okay, keep one firetruck a couple of blocks from the place.

What else can happen that would justify having dozens of heavily armed people, blocking roads and generally conducting full-scale "anti-terrorist" style op?

My personal view - this just attracts unnecessary attention and this is exactly what those crazy people seem to seek. More people involved + more coverage of such an incident in media + Visible mess around it (blocked roads etc.) = Higher chance for a copycat to do the same thing a week later after he breaks up with his GF or so.

I might clearly be wrong here, as usual :)