njpilot

Recent Software Update On Galaxy S4

I'm on an S5, not an S4, so I don't have this problem...but suggestions:

Try changing the ringtone to something different, then changing it back...I've noticed that my other phones like to do that kinda crap to me.

I assume you checked both the ringtones themselves are set properly, as well as the volume settings...

Did you do a backup using kies3?

Do you have any files in "LOST.DIR" on your phone or SD card?  I had a card go bad a while back and suddenly had hundreds/thousands of files in that directory...

Good luck...

When I first got the phone, the text volume didn't work. I read that an app I had causes that problem. Deleted the app and its been fine since.

The update was an auto one that pops up telling you there is a software update.

I wouldn't even know where to look for that "LOST.DIR"

Pics are still on my SD card.

in your apps, look for "My Files" and open that. On the S5, I get a bunch of info on files, like videos, documents, images, etc, plus a link to the download folder, and what we are looking for: Local Storage.  Under Local Storage, I've got "Device Storage" and "SD Card" - on my SD card I have a directory called LOST.DIR.

On my older Androids, "My Files" leads directly to the file system of the phone, and I believe it is Ext_SD or External_SD that will get you to your MicroSD card.

If that folder is full of randomly-named files, then it may be a concern.

Do you run antivirus on the phone?

Do you use the normal messaging program that came with the phone, or something else?

Glad it was something simple... 

I just got my S5 a few days ago, and I came from an Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) phone...the number of settings, and location of all the settings, is kinda overwhelming when first going through everything after being used to the older phone.  Most people wouldn't have to tinker with most of the stuff that I did, but I like to personalize the phone as much as I can without having to root it...  Now that I've got it set up how I like it....I'm really liking the phone and I'm glad I waited...