5th4x4

Bypass NICS Delay(??)

Due to an out of state Misdemeanor conviction in my past, every NICS check results in a Delay - followed many hours later by an eventual Clear. 

It ALWAYS clears, but in the meantime they always delay me while they research the same exact thing each and every time. And it can take many many hours (including overnight) to research/clear.

Is there any mechanism in place for bypassing such delays??

Get a UPIN from NICS and it will stop the madness

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/appeals/nics-appeals-process/nics-appeal-frequently-asked-questions#disablemobile

This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Encouraging!

Until....

The NJSP NICS Unit will tell you that a UPIN will do you no good in NJ.  They still hand look up your info. Been there, done that.

Discouraging.

Magnawing... are you speaking from personal experience in NJ?

(I assume that when PK90 writes, "Been there, done that", his experience was simply more of the same madness) 

Female customer was the 1st to get one in NJ. She goes pending every time. Gave info to NICS Unit. Head boss said it was quicker to run it by hand separately than to use the UPIN info. I don't know what that entails, but she is made to wait like all the other delays.

Got a PICS delay when I bought my shotgun in PA. Haven't bought anything else since I got arrested in 93 on non-violent misdemeanor charges so I haven't had to do a NJ NICS. UPIN was suggested if I get a delay anywhere else. Since my info is now on file with PICS, was told I wouldn't have future problems in PA.

This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Ok, thanks guys. 

The UPIN sounds like it's meant to function exactly as would be needed.... but if it's not being properly used by the agency in charge of running the checks.... well.... sounds like NJ as usual.

I appreciate your responses.

I have a relationship with a FFL who runs my NICS ahead of time so that I just have to fill out paperwork when I get there.

This does not help for any "finds" while out and about, but if I am getting something from him and have a 7pm appt, he will run NICS before I get there. 

I have a relationship with a FFL who runs my NICS ahead of time so that I just have to fill out paperwork when I get there.

This does not help for any "finds" while out and about, but if I am getting something from him and have a 7pm appt, he will run NICS before I get there.

Your FFL is taking a BIG chance running the NICS before you fill out and sign the 4473. :facepalm:

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Your FFL is taking a BIG chance running the NICS before you fill out and sign the 4473. :facepalm:

Sent from an undisclosed location.

2nd that!

Just curious... What's the issue there?  Say you're "enroute" to your FFL to pick up your gun. Could they not have the NICS done before your arrival so that you walk in, sign the 4473 and be done, rather than waiting for it while there?

Just curious... What's the issue there?  Say you're "enroute" to your FFL to pick up your gun. Could they not have the NICS done before your arrival so that you walk in, sign the 4473 and be done, rather than waiting for it while there?

I suppose it depends on how seriously the FBI enforces the form/NICS check protocol in that particular regard.

The form does state that the Buyer must complete Section A and answer questions 18-20 before the Dealer should do a NICS check.

But if the Dealer and Buyer are known to each other - and the Buyer's info/status is known to the Dealer - then maybe it doesn't matter in the scheme of things. The FBI seems to only really care about the answers to the questions, since the wrong answers equal no NICS check and no transfer. 

So is the FFL taking a "BIG chance"? 

Probably not with a known buyer. After all, what enforcement mechanism is there for identifying such a practice? (<<< that's a legit question, if anyone has an applicable answer to it). 

I suppose it depends on how seriously the FBI enforces the form/NICS check protocol in that particular regard.

The form does state that the Buyer must complete Section A and answer questions 18-20 before the Dealer should do a NICS check.

But if the Dealer and Buyer are known to each other - and the Buyer's info/status is known to the Dealer - then maybe it doesn't matter in the scheme of things. The FBI seems to only really care about the answers to the questions, since the wrong answers equal no NICS check and no transfer. 

So is the FFL taking a "BIG chance"? 

Probably not with a known buyer. After all, what enforcement mechanism is there for identifying such a practice? (<<< that's a legit question, if anyone has an applicable answer to it). 

Yes, I concur that the FFL and buyer should know each other and maybe have done business initially prior...... :)

Too many what ifs can happen. And too much risk for too little reward for an FFL to jeopardize his license.

ETA: If the buyer whats to fill out a 4473, sign it, and email or fax it to the FFL along with current personal documents prior to making the trip, that is fine per my IOI, if personally known. Running a NICS without the signed 4473 is against regulations.