High Exposure

AP REPORT - Iraqi PM: Attacks on American subway "imminent"

Serious question:

Have terrorists ever actually hit any target that the news said was at risk?

I don't recall it ever happening. It's always something we don't expect.

It's part of the reason why the TSA is such a f^¢£ing joke. AQ tries a shoe bomb, we have to take our shoes. Because, of course, they're gonna try that again.

Do you even know how many people take the train. Its a huge fear indicing move. As far as wal mart being attacked, lets just say a lot ofthe people i see there we would be better off without.

I'm pretty sure it's not that big compared to all the people that go into all the walmarts each day. They have 2 million employees and handle about 100 million customers a week.

Also retail strikes could hamper holiday retail, and that would be really bad for the economy.

I'm pretty sure it's not that big compared to all the people that go into all the walmarts each day. They have 2 million employees and handle about 100 million customers a week.

Also retail strikes could hamper holiday retail, and that would be really bad for the economy.

Everybody is armed in a Walmart. An NJ/NYC train is the only place in the world you can bash a guy's brains out with a hammer and 40 men sitting within feet of you will do nothing to stop you.

If they weren't meant to be shorn, why did God make them sheep?

NYC buses and subways alone account for 35m riders/week.

So like 67 million more and they'll catch up with walmart's week.

You're ignoring the density and value of location factors.

An attack on NYC mass transit would hit way more ppl and would shut down the stock market.

That's a whole lot more impact than killing a few hundred middle Americans

So like 67 million more and they'll catch up with walmart's week.

Apples to basketballs. Wallyworld has 2 million employees and 100 million customers a week spread across 4200 stores round the country. NYC Mass transit handles over a billion people annually in around 305 square miles.

How many Wallmarts would you have to attack to equal an attack on Grand Central Station at rush hour? 500,000 people pass through there on a normal day, how many Wallmarts can say that?

5 dudes could shut down GCC. You would need 5 guys in each of 10 Wallmarts to directly impact that number of folks immediately. The 2nd and third order effects of a subway attack would grind the NE US to a halt. The 4th order effects would shit down most of the rest of the country.

There are very few places as target rich with sheeple as NYC Mass Transit.

NYC is seen by those outside our nation as our heartbeat and our enemy has their own version of "Hearts and Minds".

Apples to basketballs. Wallyworld has 2 million employees and 100 million customers a week spread across 4200 stores round the country. NYC Mass transit handles over a billion people annually in around 305 square miles.

How many Wallmarts would you have to attack to equal an attack on Grand Central Station at rush hour? 500,000 people pass through there on a normal day, how many Wallmarts can say that?

5 dudes could shut down GCC. You would need 5 guys in each of 10 Wallmarts to directly impact that number of folks immediately. The 2nd and third order effects of a subway attack would grind the NE US to a halt. The 4th order effects would shit down most of the rest of the country.

There are very few places as target rich with sheeple as NYC Mass Transit.

NYC is seen by those outside our nation as our heartbeat and our enemy has their own version of "Hearts and Minds".

Except body count doesn't rule all.

What do you think would be the financial impact of a couple of Boston bomber types at a couple of wal-mart Black Friday midnight openings?

Im also talking about the number of people actually altering their behavior due to it. The number of people who walk through the doors of a wal mart are much greater, and unlike commuters who will have to deal or find new work, buying less is a pretty easy option as is switching retailers.

Then of course you have the security theater backlash. Someone leaves some scorch marks in grand central, you can make pretend you have secured and hardened a target. Major retailers? You can't do jack or even convince people you hardened those targets even slightly.

That being said, I'm arguing what could potentially do more long term harm to the nation, not what I consider to be more likely. It has little cachet, and requires grasping nuances of American culture and infrastructure. The big apple is shiny, and most of the planet doesn't grasp that LA isn't a convenient day trip from it, nor can they grasp that a big chunk of the US views it with no greater import than other countries while they imagine we all hang on every event there and couldn't live without it. The only reason it practically matters to the us is due to the financial industry.

I disagree.

In addition to the higher body count in a mass transit attack - which equals a bigger victory to our enemies - I think the long term effects of a Black Friday attack at a big box store, or a few big box stores, would evaporate quickly. There would be a huge up-tick in online shopping - that's something that is already occurring just to avoid crowds. Imagine how fast it would happen to avoid an attack. The stores would hire armed security and screen folks at the door. There would be a delay getting in but that's about it. Very few would complain because security would be staffed by company men and not G-Men.

The long term effects on a Subway/Mass Transit attack would be much longer lasting. You can't ship yourself to work, school, or family obligations. People couldn't make it to work, commute times would triple, agency resources would be completely overwhelmed, and OT would be through the roof. Agencies couldn't get enough people trained and on the streets fast enough.

You think TSA is bad? Wait until 35 million people a week in NYC alone need to be screened by the same idiots now with even less training thanks to an ad-hoc shake and bake program designed to fill uniforms and not provide true security in the wake of the attack.

And do you think only NYC would be affected? Every mass transit system in every city and every state would be doing the same thing.

Everyone in the tri-state are would have a no shit there I was/I would have but I called in sick/I was gonna but I missed the train story. With LEO/Feds/Military providing security you would get all of the quotes about freedom and security and those who sacrifice one for the other deserve neither on every internet chat room that exists. People would be wrapping themselves in tin-foil and screaming about cops with rifles, XRay machines, FEMA camps, and chemtrails. Truthers would be having a field day trying to prove it was all an inside job.

Heck, we are still feeling the effects (in $$, tin foil, and inconvenience) from 9/11. This would be ten times worse.

This should be good reason for a nation-wide CCW permit program.

That's kind of narrow thinking. What if they just have a bunch of willing martyrs who will be infected with something communicable that will jsut commute in the subways every day until they kick it. 

There's not much security theater, or CCWs can do about that. Heck there isn't much actual security could do about it unless the infection had some very specific and obvious symptoms. 

That's kind of narrow thinking. What if they just have a bunch of willing martyrs who will be infected with something communicable that will jsut commute in the subways every day until they kick it. 

There's not much security theater, or CCWs can do about that. Heck there isn't much actual security could do about it unless the infection had some very specific and obvious symptoms. 

Whah?  I thought we were talking about attacks on home soil. With "jihad" coming our way I think nationwide carry permits should be a no-brainer. You think the cops will always be there when you need them? We all know that's not true.