TonyS.

ESS U-Rx Inserts?

I've been debating the past few weeks what to do with my front handgun sight being fuzzy. I just stumbled upon the ESS U-Rx inserts and they seem a great idea. I like the idea of being able to simply swap out the lenses of the insert when my Rx changes down the road without having to get a whole new set of glasses. So, anyone using the ESS U-Rx inserts? Do you get tunnel vision....IOW are the inserts annoyingly confining while wearing them? Thanks.

I have them.....   I love the glasses....  Not happy how clear the Rx came out.... little fuzzy, but not the glasses fault, going to try Pro-Gun Eye Dr.... and get a better Rx done....

But yes.... love the glasses and how the inserts work.... 

I just got a pair done a few days ago, and I don't know if it's me or if there was an error producing the lenses, but they make me extremely dizzy. I need to go back and have them checked (done by a random optometrist in NYC). I'm worried that the pupillary distance might be off. I gave them the lens insert without the mount, and when unmounted, the spacing between the lenses is much narrower.

I have a set of the crossbow suppressors and regular crossbow. The suppressors are nice in that the arms are very thin so really do go under muffs without creating a gap. However, without muffs I find the arms are too short and they have a tendency to slip.

With either, the nose piece to mount the Rx lens makes the ballistic lens stand a little farther from your face than the regular one. There is still not enough gap to allow anything to get in, especially when waring a baseball cap but it does improve ventilation so I get no fogging at all.

I would recommend them.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

I use ESS ICE with the P-2B Rx insert. I have worn progressive lenses for probably 20 years and didn't really want to pay for progressive lenses for the insert, so my optician worked with me and made single Rx lenses that had my front sight in focus - of course I can't read COF descriptions or keep score - unless I hold things 2 feet from me. LOL. I have dark lens shades for outdoors and clear for indoors. You don't even notice the frame of the insert. My concern was my eyelashes hitting the lenses because of the extra depth with the insert, but that proved unfounded. I was all in at $170 (2 complete glasses / one insert / Rx lenses).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

This is looking promising.  I just scored a bit of luck. I found an old prescription glasses. The frames are in good condition thought the lenses are scratched to heck but I would need new ones anyway. If I get impact-resistant Rx anti-glare lenses for them I might be able to save some $. I like the fact that you can switch out the lenses on the ESS frames for different environments (sunny, indoors, etc) so I'm going to have to decide which way to go. What say you guys?

If you go with the ordinary frames with new lenses don't forget to add side protection.

Yep, GFH requires this now. Or wear the ballistic glasses with side protection over yours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is looking promising.  I just scored a bit of luck. I found an old prescription glasses. The frames are in good condition thought the lenses are scratched to heck but I would need new ones anyway. If I get impact-resistant Rx anti-glare lenses for them I might be able to save some $. I like the fact that you can switch out the lenses on the ESS frames for different environments (sunny, indoors, etc) so I'm going to have to decide which way to go. What say you guys?

I was always under the impression that "impact resistant" polycarbonate lenses aren't specifically designed to serve as eye protection. They're more impact resistant compared to glass, but don't meet specific eye protection standards, e.g. ANSI, OSHA or whatever. Of course someone let me know that I'm wrong. Of course they'd be better than nothing and I'm not one to talk since I've just been using moderately high index (thin) polycarbonate lens RX glasses. But lately I've started to get more paranoid. I've been to steel matches where I've seen people getting pretty decent cuts to their cheek 15 yds back. Sometimes I'll be at an indoor range where they permit birdshot, I get paranoid about one of the pellets catching the target hanger and richocheting back to me. And I could have sworn reading here a couple weeks back about someone's gun that blew up shooting faulty remanufactured ammo. All these things are making me wary of pushing my luck with standard lenses. 

I have the Crossbow Suppressor frame (thinner temples for use with ear pro) and the Vice RX insert.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1419789910.713752.jpg

Boo, thank you for responding and putting up the pic. Would you happen to have a side pic of your glasses with the inserts? I'd like to see how close the insert is to the front lenses and the overall setup. Thanks.

I was always under the impression that "impact resistant" polycarbonate lenses aren't specifically designed to serve as eye protection. They're more impact resistant compared to glass, but don't meet specific eye protection standards, e.g. ANSI, OSHA or whatever. Of course someone let me know that I'm wrong. Of course they'd be better than nothing and I'm not one to talk since I've just been using moderately high index (thin) polycarbonate lens RX glasses. But lately I've started to get more paranoid. I've been to steel matches where I've seen people getting pretty decent cuts to their cheek 15 yds back. Sometimes I'll be at an indoor range where they permit birdshot, I get paranoid about one of the pellets catching the target hanger and richocheting back to me. And I could have sworn reading here a couple weeks back about someone's gun that blew up shooting faulty remanufactured ammo. All these things are making me wary of pushing my luck with standard lenses. 

Definitely. I was just at the range last week and the guy was shooting 22 next to me and somehow one of his cases came over into my booth and tapped the side of my head. Surprised....to say the least! I still can't figure how it got over to me but it did. Right now I'm wearing my regular Rx glasses underneath 3m clear safety glasses. I would NOT wear anything without side protection and not ANSI-Z87.1 approved.

Before you spring for the Vice insert, make sure you know your prescription. The Vice insert can accommodate corrections to + or - 6, while the P-2B goes to + or - 11.

The P-2B is sturdier than the monofilament Vice. I had the same concerns as you, but opted for the P-B2. I was able to find them on eBay for $15 w/free shipping. As I said previously - you are totally unaware of the insert in actual use.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Before you spring for the Vice insert, make sure you know your prescription. The Vice insert can accommodate corrections to + or - 6, while the P-2B goes to + or - 11.

The P-2B is sturdier than the monofilament Vice. I had the same concerns as you, but opted for the P-B2. I was able to find them on eBay for $15 w/free shipping. As I said previously - you are totally unaware of the insert in actual use.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

My Rx is -2.00 so it would be fine. Actually, I must admit that after checking the funding out I may just opt for contacts for my dominant eye after going to an ophthalmologist. I already have contacts for regular viewing. Regular clear safety glasses are cheap, and I already have them, so I think this might will be the affordable route for now. Thanks PB.