Sign in to follow this  
lhrocker

NJ Legal Air Rifles

I'm looking to get an air rifle for myself and my son to shoot.  Since you cannot have a "silencer" on an air gun (Gamo whisper series, Crosman Nitro), what would be considered a good air gun to get?  It can be sub sonic and will be mostly used for target practice.  Will probably get a Ruger 10/22 when I get my FPID, but you can't shoot those indoors.

Thanx,

Pete

BB and Pellet - Pretty crazy, eh? I can actually get it out of state, but I wanted to know what I can actually get that's legal.

Anything without a silencer is legal to own. Do you plan to hunt with it? Small game season here allows pellet rifles for rabbit and squirrel. If so it has to shoot at a minimum of 600 FPS. No smaller than .177 no larger than .22 caliber. I grew up with a Crossman 2100.

http://www.crosman.com/classic-2100-177

Anything without a silencer is legal to own. Do you plan to hunt with it? Small game season here allows pellet rifles for rabbit and squirrel. If so it has to shoot at a minimum of 600 FPS. No smaller than .177 no larger than .22 caliber. I grew up with a Crossman 2100. http://www.crosman.com/classic-2100-177

No hunting - just plinking and target practice.

No hunting - just plinking and target practice.

How big/old is your son? They make some shorter stock/forearm models for kids. Your going to have to go to PA to buy without your NJ FPID. Any Crossman, Beman, Gamo, or Daisy without a silencer are all good choices for plinking in NJ.

Purchased legally out of state, transported back to NJ legally, possessed within the state exemptions, what law is being broken? Show me the case with the guilty verdict for this please.

He would not be able to transport within NJ without FPID.

He would not be able to transport within NJ without FPID.

Isn't this covered under an exemption where you can transport a legally owned firearm from place of sale to home to range?  I'll probably wait for the FPID and permits to arrive first.  I just wanted to know what rifles are truly silenced and what have shrouds that do nothing but look cool?

I just wanted to know what rifles are truly silenced and what have shrouds that do nothing but look cool?

You're going to have to do a little research on that. But any model that claims to have a silencing device built in is illegal here.

I stand corrected, thanks

Your right though, it's a smart idea to have a card. At least you can stop for a sandwich or take a leak with a FPID card while transporting a long gun that way. Otherwise it's to and from home to range, to and from home & place of business (you own), to and from home & range, gun store, or gun smith, and to and from home to legal place of hunting.

Would it be safe to assume that if it is sold in a NJ Dicks or LGS, then it is legal? Maybe I should just go to a store to research.

Should be. But about 8 years ago I bought a Gamo whisper at Ramsey Outdoors, they were illegal here then but no one really knew that at the time. It wasn't until the state opened the air rifle hunting season a couple years ago, that they addressed the silenced air rifles as being assault firearms. (In a similar fashion to the way the ATF gave an opinion on the Sig arm brace, everyone wrote letters to fish and game and the State Police. They then decided silenced air rifles were the same as a silencer on an AR.) Mine took a UPS ride to my cousin in AZ, when the state police announced their view of them. Pretty sure all the NJ FFL'S know they're illegal, after the state police sent out the letter.

What letter? Never heard of it.

The warning to the public from Fish & Game below.

Following is the official Division of Fish and Wildlife statement regarding the use and possession of air guns equipped or manufactured with silencers:

As per a recent interpretation by the State Attorney General's Office, the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife's Bureau of Law Enforcement is advising sportsman and sportswomen that the possession and use of air guns equipped with silencers is illegal pursuant to New Jersey Criminal Law. Silencers are defined as any device designed to lessen or muffle the noise of the gun discharging. We urge all users of air guns to determine through the manufacturer of the firearm whether or not they are so equipped. The possession and use of such air guns is ILLEGAL.

It is important to note that the ultimate responsibility lies with the person using the gun to determine if it is equipped with a silencer per the law by contacting the firearm's manufacturers.

For more information on the use of air guns for hunting in New Jersey, see the Air Gun FAQs:

NJ Air Gun FAQs (pdf, 90 kb )

The letter you never heard of, that was sent out to NJ firearms retailers:

83ef5b48e989f7f420d4f0c448c3ca7a.jpg