Teky0101

Age Restriction - Archery and Airsoft

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone know the legal age requirement for NJ retailers to sell bows and airsoft guns. I tried looking up the information in Evan Nappen's book but all I could find a lot of information on the subject. I am currently in the process of building a database for a retail Point of Sale system and I want to make sure I setup the age restrictions correctly. Thank you for any help you can provide!

Sincerely,

Teky0101

I contacted one of our vendors tonight and found out that the age for airsoft pistols and rifles is 18+.

Correct - Airsoft guns are restricted to 18+.  Any kids playing Airsoft should be under adult supervision at all times.

Archery is 18+ as well.  Any children shooting archery should be under adult supervision as well.

Can someone cite the statute of this law?

Airsoft is vague in NJ - it's not considered a BB gun but still requires you to be 18+ to buy. Most likely for CYA Legal purposes.

California's Rules on age:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140SB199

This is NJ. Cite NJ law or STFU. :laugh:

I always wondered why Airsoft was sold over the counter and not considered BB guns, ie. NJ firearms, as the pellets are less than 3/8". Are they hollow?

This is NJ. Cite NJ law or STFU. :laugh:

I always wondered why Airsoft was sold over the counter and not considered BB guns, ie. NJ firearms, as the pellets are less than 3/8". Are they hollow?

No, they're solid.  In NJ they don't technically classify as firearms because they're not BB Guns.... I guess because of the projectile speed.  Possibly falls under the same category as paintball guns because the projectiles aren't meant to cause harm...  The problem is that there's really no law for it that I can cite because airsoft is "grey area"...