Teky0101

Conservation Efforts & Cownose Ray Bowfishing

Hello Everyone,
My boss recently started an organization called Save A Clam in the efforts to raise awareness against the invasive Cownose Rays which are destroying our shellfish industries and underwater plant life in NJ. In efforts to control the species his organization is trying to legalize saltwater bowfishing in NJ by 2017. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good organizations in NJ who might be interested in networking to raise awareness for this cause? I am also seeking to obtain thousands of likes through Facebook so we can eventually try to get these conservation laws passed. We are in the very early stages of starting up this organization but I would greatly appreciate any support you could provide by liking our page. Thank you everyone for your time and I would appreciate any advice you can provide.

https://www.facebook.com/saveaclam

I know nothing on tha topic so a few questions. Do you mean spearfishing? And its not like our waters are crystal clear like in the Caribean to even see your prey 10,20 feet down. How would you go about it, from a boat, snorkle, scuba....or is it they dwell in very shallow water and can actually see them from a boat?

Hello Siderman,

Thank you for your questions. To clarify bowfishing and spearfishing are two separate sports. I found a video on YouTube which demonstrates how bowfishing works. This company and video has no association with Save A Clam I just thought it would help you understand the basics of bowfishing. If we passed saltwater bowfishing in NJ the fishing would likely take place on boats in the shallow waters of the bays during the migratory season of the Cownose Rays. My understanding is rays swim up the coast in huge packs during certain times of the year. The problem is NJ has a lot of clam fisheries and the rays have very few existing predators. These animals go to the fisheries, eat the clams out of the cages and destroy the cages by flapping their wings. They also destroy the underwater grasses. To provide a solution my boss would like to legalize bowfishing to cut down on the population. You can also eat the rays so they would not be a wasted food source. I hope this helps to clarify some of your questions. Please let me know if you have any questions.