Sign in to follow this  
ChrisJM981

How much desiccant per bin?

Come September I'm losing a room that I've been using for storage. My two options are to either store items in the garage or under my living room in a crawl space. The crawl space makes sense for seasonal items such as Christmas decorations and maybe seasonal clothing since I don't have to go in there often. My plan is to get some waterproof totes from the Container Store and toss in a desiccant pack, but I can't seem to find a guide to what size pack I need per container. These are the containers I'm looking at using:

https://www.containerstore.com/s/garage/storage-bags-boxes/clear-weathertight-totes/12d?productId=10026213

I'm deciding between the 46.6 and 63 qt bins. I like them because the have a urethane foam seal and they lock tight. 

46.6 Qt.

10050819WaterTightToteClear46.6qt_x.jpg?width=450

63 Qt.

&

9 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Come September I'm losing a room that I've been using for storage. My two options are to either store items in the garage or under my living room in a crawl space. The crawl space makes sense for seasonal items such as Christmas decorations and maybe seasonal clothing since I don't have to go in there often. My plan is to get some waterproof totes from the Container Store and toss in a desiccant pack, but I can't seem to find a guide to what size pack I need per container. These are the containers I'm looking at using:

https://www.containerstore.com/s/garage/storage-bags-boxes/clear-weathertight-totes/12d?productId=10026213

I'm deciding between the 46.6 and 63 qt bins. I like them because the have a urethane foam seal and they lock tight. 

46.6 Qt.

10050819WaterTightToteClear46.6qt_x.jpg?width=450

63 Qt.

&

Are they air tight fo sure though? If not your wasting your time. For clothes and linens we use ginormous Ziplock bags in totes.

9 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Are they air tight fo sure though? If not your wasting your time. For clothes and linens we use ginormous Ziplock bags in totes.

It states air and watertight seal, not designed to be submirged. I like the ziplock bags idea for linens and clothes. I have metal, fabric, and paper items that are too delicate to vacuum seal though.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

It states air and watertight seal, not designed to be submirged. I like the ziplock bags idea for linens and clothes. I have metal, fabric, and paper items that are too delicate to vacuum seal though.

I’d say 3 -4 of the smaller size packs 

13 minutes ago, Zeke said:

I’d say 3 -4 of the smaller size packs 

I checked the math. Each container is under 3 cubic feet, which these are good for:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CE3VQ4U/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I need 2 for my lockable trunk. Wife will be happy I get my shooting stuff out of her office, and I'll be happy I have a new dry place to hide future purchases. :D

• Like 1

Like the Zeeker, I’ve been using those big ziplock vacuum bags for years with good results. You can get them at Costco.

Only thing I’d warn is apply the vacuum and let them sit for a few days to make sure you have a good seal. If they hold pressure for a few days throw them in a tote and store.