Maksim

The Bullet Hole... a top notch place

Hello Melgamatic I own Gun For Hire. You stated that The GFH crew were not so nice. Was it one of my instructors or was it a RSO wearing one of my shirts? Let me know please I would love to further investigate and follow up with you. I have a 22 year old business based on referrals and relationships and I take this very serious. Regards. Anthony

Hello Melgamatic I own Gun For Hire. You stated that The GFH crew were not so nice. Was it one of my instructors or was it a RSO wearing one of my shirts? Let me know please I would love to further investigate and follow up with you. I have a 22 year old business based on referrals and relationships and I take this very serious. Regards. Anthony

Anthony, I am very appreciative that you're concerned about this. Unfortunately, I don't know who it was, whether a range officer or one of your instructors. It was a slightly heavy middle aged white guy in a GFH polo shirt, but that probably describes half the guys on that block in Belleville!

I should probably go back and edit my post and instead of saying it was a GFH guy, write that it was "a guy wearing a GFH shirt!" I have heard good things about your training classes, and I'm happy to see you on the forums.

I went back to read my comment, hoping I wasn't out of line or too rude. My comment was "the GFH crew were not so nice" is accurate, but I also can see things from the person in the GFH polo shirt's point of view. It's hard to know who is a dangerous moron and who is OK in a crowded range like that. It was really bedlam the 2 times I've been there, and maybe the range officers just can't be nice with a crowded range, half full of people who know what they are doing and half full of untrained large-caliper new pistol owners.

On the BulletHole, I visited again earlier this week to see a few long guns. I believe the gentleman who helped me was the patriarch of the family (Manny?) and although not sparklingly friendly, was less brusk than my last few visits, didn't give me any grief about showing me a few guns and answering a few questions, etc. So, it was a step up.

It was less crowded when I was there, maybe only 2 or 3 customers, and I think that had a big influence on the friendliness factor. I really think the BH staff gets grumpy after a full day in that little store and when I see them at 7pm or later they've just run out of patience. Between the crowded store, the rush on guns and ammo these days, long hours at a family operated business, and the constant background "pop pop pop" noise from the range they must have mighty headaches by the time they go home. On the good side, they're probably making more money right now than they've made in years, so they have that!

The range just isn't my cup of tea, but the BH is slowing growing on me. The fact that I can be there 15 minutes after leaving the Port Authority parking garage in Manhattan is a big plus; stopping by only adds a few minutes to my commute home.

-Melgamatic

Selling firearm's is much different that many other professions. when you are dealing with a customer and showing them firearm's, you are not really free to move to anyone else or even divert your attention for that matter. The level of concentration takes it's toll after a while. It can be bad with only two or three customers. It can be unbearable with a shop full of them.

I'm not quite sure if Guns For hire conducts the quals for the Retired Carry or not.

Oh No! I Think you described me! LOL. I think it was Bill, one of the RSO's that I trained. Not a problem just concerned. Next time you are in the area stop by the school and check us out. We have 6,000 sq. ft. directly across the street from the Bullet Hole. Even though an indoor Range is not my cup of tea it is very convenient from a training aspect being in the NY Metro area. And yes we do Retired PD and Security Qualifications every Wed at the Range at 6:00 pm. Be Safe. Anthony

I went to the Bullet Hole once for a transfer and I will not be going back. I tell anyone who listens to avoid them like the plauge. When I went for the transfer I paid the normal transfer fee then they told me I had to pay taxes on a rifle I purchased from a company from Texas. They charged me an additional $130 on top of the transfer fee. I wasn't sure if this was legit at the time so I just paid it. After talking to some people I found out that this is not normal and the chances that money actually went to the state are probably small. So, as far as I'm concerned they robbed me for $130. The receipt only gives the total price I paid but no details. I believe it was the owners daughter that handled the transaction.

Then call the store ask for manny and straighten it out. Don't walk around with a sour taste in your mouth when it is something you can talk directly to the main man about. Whenever I have felt I have been wronged I get all the information I can take it to the top.

I spoke to one of the daughters and they are allowed to collect taxes. According to other dealers, it is generally not done. Legally, you are supposed to pay taxes on out of state purchases, but it is your responsibility to pay them. There is pretty much nothing I can do about it.

Then call the store ask for manny and straighten it out. Don't walk around with a sour taste in your mouth when it is something you can talk directly to the main man about. Whenever I have felt I have been wronged I get all the information I can take it to the top.

I spoke to one of the daughters and they are allowed to collect taxes. According to other dealers, it is generally not done. Legally, you are supposed to pay taxes on out of state purchases, but it is your responsibility to pay them. There is pretty much nothing I can do about it.

contact them. You are supposed to pay taxes on the firearm, or any out of state purchases, however the burden is on you to pay them on your income taxes at the end of the year.

most places do not do this, however some do. You are right, chance that that money went to the state? slim. In fact, i would call up and ask for the receipt where it went to the state if it did indeed.

Otherwise, call Manny, talk to him directly. Heck out out this forum thread to him. it is in his best interest to get this resolved. Either prove that the $130 in taxes went to the state, in which case you should have a receipt for Taxes paid, or have him return the money to you and then you pay it on your income taxes.

Bump for the guys from Gun for Hire. Anthony's a great guy and i'll be taking his courses very soon.

+1

I've taken a handgun course with Jay and he was very thorough. Anthony is a great guy and is always available.

I think some of these stories are the exception to the rule. Any problems and Manny will handle them personally.