Sign in to follow this  
EO1986

first shotgun

I shoot mostly rifles, but have fired a few rounds of sporting clays over the past couple years and really enjoyed it. Sporting clays is way too expensive for me to do regularly, but my local club has a trap setup, which is much more in my price range.

I'm thinking of picking up a pump shotgun in the near future for shooting clays, and maybe at some point getting an 18" barrel for it for HD duties. I've always admired the bottom ejecting Ithaca 37, but I also like the 870, and its alot more common. Just wondering what you're opinions are on a first shotgun.

Both will do just fine. I am partial to Mossbergs because their safety and action bar release are more comfortable for me. The only bad thing about a Mossberg is if you want to put a pistol grip on it, the tang safety is not as easy to use as it is on an 870. I have beaten the hell out of 870's and 500/590's and they can take it. A friend has an Ithica and loves it.

Can't go wrong with an 870. I have a left-handed one for clay and a synthetic version under the bed for home defense. Mossberg's and 870's are easy to come by, cheap and fun to make them your own with plenty of after market toys.

Both are great shotguns that will serve you and the next 4 generations of your family well.

The 870 has far more bling available than the Ithaca, but the Ithaca is a rock solid shotgun.

I own both and don't have a bad thing to say about either one.

Try them both, shoulder them, play with the buttons, rack the slide, and if you can't buy both, buy the one that feels the best to you.

Careful shooting clays...... they're VERY addictive!:)

sandcast69