Sign in to follow this  
simmons

Ammoman

Ammoman will not ship to NJ for some reason. I suspect it has something to do with collecting taxes, but I dont really know. I have picked up ammo from him and he will usually knock about $20-$25 off the price as he doesnt have to ship it. For certain items you can get a very good deal, like the 7.62x54R he had about a year ago...That is some VERY heavy stuff, and the discount was larger. Also, be aware that some people have had problems with him. There was an instance where he had a SKS rifle advertised to be a Vietnam bring back, and when the buyer checked it out (it was mailed to his FFL and he didnt have a chance to see it in person before he bought it) it turned out not to be as advertised. Ammoman said "too bad", or something to that effect, and would not take it back. Because of this , there are quite a few people that wont deal with him....

I think he operates out of a warehouse type facility. Many out of state people seem to be very pleased with what he has to offer, but I don't really see any bargains any more. I can get equal to or less more often at other online sites.

If ammoman doesn't ship to NJ, who does? Any reputable places with decent ammo for good prices?

I buy from Cabelas and Sportsmans Guide most of the time. Once in a while I'll buy from CheaperThanDirt, but they're not so cheap these days.

Once in a while, a miracle happens and TheArmory.com has something good in stock.

Sportmans Guide raised prices due to the shortage so I am not buying from them. They used to be the best if you joined the Buyers Club and used the "$10 off an order of $99 or more" coupon. Natchez has kept prices fair when they have something in stock. These two sites have consistently had the lowest prices.

Ammoman's prices have always been higher and he had a very small selection. He does sell directly. If you live close to him and he has a good price on something you want, he could be a good deal.

I have used Ammoman many times. I live only 15 mins from his outfit, so it is easy for me. I say that he has not had any ammo I wanted in about 6 mos. But when he does, I will buy more. He always knocks off $20 or so for pickup and a little more if cash deal. See his stock online and call ahead to setup a pickup time. He is not a drop in type of place.

I ready many posts about the rifle issue mentioned above. I personally did not get any sort of resolution from either side's argument, both were inadequate. Main issue seemed to surround his return policy. I am undecided on the issue.

I just wanted to add that I have bought online from Midway, Graf & Sons and AimSurplus. Midway's shipping can be high and Graf's includes shipping in the price plus a small fee. I like AimSurplus for all my Milsurp ammo. Oh, and you can't beat CMP for 30-06 M2 Ball, although it looks like they're experiencing the same run on supply. They have all been very reputable with no problems, ever. I've never had a problem with any of them shipping to NJ, and only Aim asked for a one-time fax of a driver's license for proof of age. Nowadays, most are out of stock on the popular stuff and you have to check out their websites regularly. Such are the times in which we live.

He CANT ship to anyine in NJ, because believe it or not, he IS in NJ. Remember all handgun ammo, has to be logged into the dealer's bound Book here in the PRNJ, plus, IIRC, All other ammo has to have a photo ID or NJFID card presented at time of purchase. Im sure the State would like nothing better than to shut down anyone who doesnt cross every T and dot every I for any discrepancies. Out-of state dealers arent affected by this as yet, although the Legilsature is desperately trying to "Remedy' that.

Looking at his website it doesn't look like he has anything to ship. In the past my friend bought his 50BMG from him but not in a year or two. when Talon was shut down all the surplus components and powder dried up. They were the source of a lot of the 50 ammo.