Sign in to follow this  
Col. Mortimer

USPSA helmet camera

What gun is he shooting with?

Question, for IDPA, and USPSA.... are you limited to a capacity on the mags? Or if your gun takes 15 rounders, you can use all 15+1?

He is most likely using one of the high-end race guns such as STI.

It depends on the class. I USPSA, I shoot Production with a Beretta 92FS so I can start with 10 plus one in the tube. After that, I am limited to 10 even though I have 15 round mags. I Open class, the only limitation is the overal length of the magazine. With Major 9mm or .38 Super Auto, the magazine capacity is 20 or even a few more.

In IDPA, I shoot SSP (Stock Service Pistol) and the mag limits are the same.

You can use the high capacity mags in the Limited and Open classes. Of course, they are illegal in New Jersey. :(

do most people shoot 9mm in those leagues? or do some people shoot 45?

For Production class, there is only Minor Power Factor so here, 9mm is the most common. The scoring in other classes favors Major Power Factor so .45ACP is common in Single Stack and Limited-10 where magazine capacity is limited. In Limited and Open, where the only restriction is magazine length, 9mm Major, .38 Super and .40 S&W are the most common. The idea in Limited and Open is to have lots of rounds in the mag to minimize mag changes.

Of course, this is for area matches. For a local match, which is mostly just for fun, shoot whatever you have.

The xd in 45 gap is what I just picked up, and figured if will be reloading, have 3 mags already for it and accessories fairly cheap. cheaper than for cz's.

only thing is, 9+1...

In Production Class, you will not be at a big disadvantage. During a Course of Fire, most mags are dropped with rounds since, in most cases, a tactical mag change is the best solution. In other words, you are moving from one area to another and this is an opportunity to change to a full magazine.