Sign in to follow this  
borisny

NJ Firearms ID card for non resident.

I am a NYC resident and have NYC restricted home handgun permit with hunting and range authorization. A guy at a range was telling me to get a NJ Firearm ID card. According to him if I ever travel thru NJ with my pistol locked in the trunk and stopped for traffic violation, my having the NJ Firearms ID card puts NJ cops at ease. In addition to that Firearms ID card would allow me to purchase ammo and or rifles in NJ. Does this make sense?

what is the protocol for out of state residents to getting NJ FID card?

Have a client that just moved up here from South Carolina.

From the police web site I understood that all I need to do is submit the forms on the web site to any NJ police station :?:

Does that have to be done in person, or can I mail it in? Or, since I still have, somewhere, the FID I was issued back in '81, should I just mail in a change of address to the chief of police in the town it was issued in?

Q2.

How do you obtain a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or a Permit to Purchase a Handgun?

A2.

You must apply at your local police department. If you do not have a local police department or you are an out of state resident, you must apply at the nearest New Jersey State Police station (excluding toll roads, stations on the New Jersey Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, and Atlantic City Expressway).

For any further information outlining specific requirements, contact your local police department or nearest New Jersey State Police station.

© http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/faq.html#firearms

I ever travel thru NJ with my pistol locked in the trunk and stopped for traffic violation,

You are covered under Federal law. You don't need a NJ FID cards if travel is your concern. It probably would be beneficial for ammo purchases. Only you can tell if the cost and time of obtaining the permit is worth ti. At some point you will have to appear it the submitted jurisdiction.

I ever travel thru NJ with my pistol locked in the trunk and stopped for traffic violation,

You are covered under Federal law. You don't need a NJ FID cards if travel is your concern. It probably would be beneficial for ammo purchases. Only you can tell if the cost and time of obtaining the permit is worth ti. At some point you will have to appear it the submitted jurisdiction.

FID seems to cost $5, unless I am not seeing something.

FID seems to cost $5, unless I am not seeing something.

FID is $5, $2 per pistol permit....

But you need to also pay $62.50? for the background check.