Sign in to follow this  
ah141nj

Range Suggestion for Rifle

Hello All,

Any suggestions for a range that a rookie rifleman can hone his skill? Not looking to take a 2nd mortage for membership fees, if you know what I mean.

50-100 yards would be fine.

Was thinking about Citizens' Rifle & Revolver. Any input on that range? Anyone a member? Need 2 sponsors if I want to join.

Citizens for all intensive purposes just has 50 year range. limited hours due to township regulations, and only 1 100yard port shooting through a concrete pipe.

2 indoor 25 yard ranges, 5 round magazine limits, 1 for rifles.

it is very very convenient for me, but wouldnt go for it.

Depending on where you live, Monmouth County Rifle and Pistol Club. 50 yd and 100yd rifle ranges, plus three pistol ranges, all outdoors. Nice group of folks, lots of fun activites, extremely low-key. Annual membership is $100, plus $175 your first year. Not a lot of rules, fill up your magazines, do whatever you want as long as it's safe.

http://geocities.com/mcrpcnj/[/url

I think the application is on the website, and although you don't need sponsors let me know and I'll give you my name for the top of the application (and then I get $25 off next year)!

To join you just need 2 personal references (not club members), you need to come to a Sunday morning range orientation and very informal interview, and one monthly membership meeting to get inducted. That's all there is.

-Melgamatic

]

Citizens for all intensive purposes just has 50 year range. limited hours due to township regulations, and only 1 100yard port shooting through a concrete pipe.

2 indoor 25 yard ranges, 5 round magazine limits, 1 for rifles.

it is very very convenient for me, but wouldnt go for it.

Through a tube? Thats kind of Somerset. We have 2 underground 100 yd Pipes to shoot from. Reminds me of a sewer drainage system. Just cant get into shooting through that.

5 rounds limit? Sounds like a field trip for a boy scouts troop....Thats insane 5 rounds. Worse than the Republic of Jersey's laws.

Thanks for the heads up

What about the bridgewater club? Somerset game?

Thats where I am a member. The 100 yd rifle range is 2 underground ports. About a 2 foot diameter "pipe'. Its like shooting through a sewer drain. Really cant get into shooting from dowm there. It smells. You can actually feel & hear the percussion blast. For me, its very difficult to focus down on the other of the pipe. I wish I could describe it better. Just know...its not for me.

+1 on ft. dix...granted its about an hour away from you, but very inexpensive, no required meetings to attend, no limits on ammo, no initiation fees, no sponsorships, no nothing. Just go and shoot, the way a range should be.

+1 on ft. dix...granted its about an hour away from you, but very inexpensive, no required meetings to attend, no limits on ammo, no initiation fees, no sponsorships, no nothing. Just go and shoot, the way a range should be.

You make great points there Chad. I might just have to give it a shot...(no pun intended)

I did notice that the range closes at 4pm on the weekends, that is a bummer.

Yeah, its a great place. You are right, the hours are lacking a little. I usually go on wednesday's as often as I can. If you would like to shoot there before getting a membership, let me know and I will gladly meet up with you there and you can be my "guest". They have great benches and also have cement pads if you want to prone out. You can shoot just about anything as long as its not glass and a .22 lr can go thru it (as per the rangemaster). I bring two real estate signs that I hang soda cans from (my wife usually comes with me and likes plinkin' the cans) and I staple paper targets on the other. We sometimes set up some old apples, or oranges or whatever. Its a good time. Shooting paper gets a little repetitious for me after a while. They do also sell cardboard targets mounted on a 2x4 if you prefer. Everyone is VERY nice there and willing to help you out if you have any questions.

Thanks to all of you have made suggestions.

I have come to a conclusion...a simple conclusion at that.

going to join both Fort Dix & Easton ranges. :D

Fort Dix because paper can get boring after a while. You know hard boiled eggs, watermelons, oranges etc.

How do you become a member at Fort Dix? No online application?

Easton for being closer to me.

Already sent in the application for both my wife and I. I figured a year ago to get her involved...it lets me buy more toys

Cant go wrong at both of those membership fees. Will certainly have to stock up on more ammo.

Yes, you can shoot the same day...bring your toys!!! The registration process took me less then 2 mins. Just fill out a card with your name and address, and get $60.00 out of your wallet.....Done!

EDIT: No, unfortunately there is no online application. Actually there is not an offline application either!

Yes, you can shoot the same day...bring your toys!!! The registration process took me less then 2 mins. Just fill out a card with your name and address, and get $60.00 out of your wallet.....Done!

EDIT: No, unfortunately there is no online application. Actually there is not an offline application either!

Thanks Chad.

Going to try to make it out there next weekend

There is a guy that walks around and picks it up when you are done shooting. If you want to keep it for yourself you can, if not just leave it. He uses a little rake...check him out, he's got it down to a science!!! He wont come to your bench until you are done shooting for the day (at least that was always my experience).

The old guy at Dix makes out pretty well, unless I get there first. He will not pick up anything from your bench until you are finished. Otherwise if it is on the ground it is yours. I have had plenty of times when I showed up and the shooters before me left about 500 empties. I always take a large coffee can when I go to collect everything.