MartyZ

PPP before or after Carry permit?

Ok, so I need some advice. I am one of the people waiting till the smoke clears before submitting my app for a carry permit. I figured while I wait, this would be a good time to get a few smaller pistols to qualify with, a VP9SK and another yet to be decided.

I have never used FARS, the last PPP I applied for was just before FARS went live and I did not have to get fingerprinted then because my prints on file were less then 2 years old.

So my question is, will I have to get fingerprinted twice, once for PPP and once carry permit? Or will my print for PPP be sufficient for the carry permit app a few months down the line?

15 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

Ok, so I need some advice. I am one of the people waiting till the smoke clears before submitting my app for a carry permit. I figured while I wait, this would be a good time to get a few smaller pistols to qualify with, a VP9SK and another yet to be decided.

I have never used FARS, the last PPP I applied for was just before FARS went live and I did not have to get fingerprinted then because my prints on file were less then 2 years old.

So my question is, will I have to get fingerprinted twice, once for PPP and once carry permit? Or will my print for PPP be sufficient for the carry permit app a few months down the line?

If you already have an FID you don't need to get fingerprinted...When you apply for CCW you will have to get fingerprinted again. 

3 hours ago, MartyZ said:

My local PD, Manalapan, fingerprints for PPP also if your previous prints are too old.

Do they do the prints for you or do they make you pay to get them?

If they make you pay then I'd contact Nappan's office and see if they'll send a letter to the PD.  Shouldn't be happening.

I called and got a message basically telling me to send them an email and get an answer within a week, i'm not waiting that long.

Anyway, I went ahead and submitted the app and noticed a question on whether or not I was fingerprinted before, so I guess the additional fingerprint requirements went away in 2017 when fars went live. I will wait and see if they ask me to do fingerprints, hopefully not.

The first detective that handled the permits was old school and would complete the fingerprint card even though I did the electronic fingerprints.  No extra charge for it but was funny.  The two detectives that handled it after he retired never asked to do it.  It may just be an old school thing or someone following the old school process.

If anything, they will call you to have your prints done.  They only call me to drop off a check for the permit ($2) with the front desk.

i've been thinking about this and I realized that last time I had to do fingerprints for a PPP was the first time I went to identigo, my previous fingerprints were inked. That is probably why I had to get it done, so the PD would have an electronic copy.