Sign in to follow this  
AntZ

Most out of box accurate bolt action rifle with mags?

A lot of people say salvage is the most accurate out of box bolt action 308 rifle. But it does not come with detachable mag. Which bolt action rifle is the most accurate out of box bolt action 308 rifle (no gunsmith work) that has adetachable mag?

Some people swear by their Rem 700s...

I was very happy with my FN PBR XP.... 20" is .308 perfect... integral 20MOA rail, great trigger. Action was a little stiff at first then smoothed out. It is built on the Win model 70 action, one of the worlds best ever designed.

You can get them for about $700 from CDNN.

My favorite bolt action thunder sticks are the FN bolt rifles. They fit your criteria and they sure will make you smile when you pull the trigger but.......You WILL cry when you first buy.

The FN SPR's have a sub MOA or sub half MOA guaranatee depending on model. All have chrome lined barrels and chambers for easy clean up and extremely long barrel life.

The PSR line is also guaranteed sub MOA out of the box. They also have chrome lined barrels and chambers.

I am partial to the Model 70 claw extractor (CRF) in tactical rifles and hunting rifles. Just what I like. No flames please!

My second favorite bolt gun is the Remington 700.

I have seen some that shoot one ragged hole with factory ammo right out of the box and some that needed a teeny bit of work to make them shoot well. I would say the vast majority shoot very well out of the box, especially the heavy barreled varmint models and the 700 Police.

My father has a Remmy 700 CDL Stainless Fluted in 30.06 and it will shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with 180 grain Nosler Accubonds and 165 grain Federal Fusions. He was so happy, he sold off all of his other hunting rifles and bought a nice new Leupold to go with it.

I have no experience with these myself but the new Kimber 8400 Advanced Tactical and Tactical models seem extremely well fit from the two models I have fondled in real life and I have read nothing but great things about them on the internet forums and what not. Not cheap though.

Others like Savage a lot for out of the box accuracy and Ruger makes accurate rifles as well but I have no personal experience with them to share.

Hope this helps!

My pleasure.

Now here's some bias for you.

I took my .308 FN SPR A1 out to CJRPC this morning and printed 5 separate 5 shot groups at 200 yards that were all under 0.96 of an inch edge to edge with Federal Gold Medal Match - 168 grain. (Note - I did not subtract the .300 bullet diameter - the largest "traditional" group size would then be 0.96-0.300 = 0.66 inch)

Please also note - I am no expert or pro shooter by any means.

All I did to this rifle is take it out of the box, clean it, and put a nice piece of glass on top of it.

I wonder what it will do when I work up a load for it.......

This rifle isn't even one of their A3G's with a sub half MOA guarantee !

FN takes their guarantee very seriously if you ask me.

Happy shopping!

Thanks again. I will take a serious at FN now.

My pleasure.

Now here's some bias for you.

I took my .308 FN SPR A1 out to CJRPC this morning and printed 5 separate 5 shot groups at 200 yards that were all under 0.96 of an inch edge to edge with Federal Gold Medal Match - 168 grain. (Note - I did not subtract the .300 bullet diameter - the largest "traditional" group size would then be 0.96-0.300 = 0.66 inch)

Please also note - I am no expert or pro shooter by any means.

All I did to this rifle is take it out of the box, clean it, and put a nice piece of glass on top of it.

I wonder what it will do when I work up a load for it.......

This rifle isn't even one of their A3G's with a sub half MOA guarantee !

FN takes their guarantee very seriously if you ask me.

Happy shopping!

If you can swing the cabbage, Sako TRG-22. adjust trigger, adj stock both check riser, cant, and LOP. If the initial cost of the rifle doesn't kill you the accessories will. BIPOD 500+, mounts, 200+, 3pc ring mount 400+ muzzle brake 200+, mags, 200+ LOL!!!! etc... But hey you want out of the box dead-eye accurate with out gunsmithing, detacable mag system, the TRG is want you want. In reality and the long run after you add all the goodies, you get the same as custom quality for about the same price as a GAP or other notable Gun maker. For slightly less money the Tikka T-3 isn't bad for the money.

Since you didn't put a $$$$ cap on it, and someone has already "opened the door" with the Sako, here are two more pieces of esoterica: Sig SSG3000 and the Blaser LRS2 Tactical2. Just thought I'd throw those out for consideration.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

try + find a remington model #788 - discontinued but a great rifle - fastest lock time of most all production rifles -