Sign in to follow this  
BadBul

Calling for FID

Dispatch: Freehold Police, 1512

BadBul: Hello, is the firearms officer available?

Dispatch: Sure, hold on. OR, no, he's not...you can ask when he will be in next but some departments will not give out officers schedules. You may just get as far as his voicemail.

BadBul: THANK YOU

Firearms officer: Det. Maksim; May I help you?

BadBul: Hello, My name is BadBul GoodCow, I am sorry to bother you, I am just checking the status of my Firearms ID card application.

Firearms officer: I'm sorry, it is on the chiefs desk, or we are still waiting to hear back from the state police, or it is still being processed, or we are still waiting to hear back from your references, or we are waiting on your criminal history, or we are waiting on your mental health records. I will call you when it is ready.

BadBul: Ok, thank you for looking into it for me. I look forward to hearing from you!

If he's being cool about it, try casually and in a calm relaxed voice saying, "you guys must be innendated with applications, whats the usual turnaround time on them?" or something to that effect. After he gives you an answer, thank him for his time, and tell him you look forward to hearing from him.

Some points to take note of.

1. Detectives are not there to only work on FID cards.

2. Detectives have MANY other pressing things than FID cards.

3. Detectives do what the Detective Sgt's tell them to do, not what the public wants them to do.

4. Detectives get calls like this ALL THE TIME

5. Detectives DO NOT care how long you have been waiting, when you applied, or how bad you want it (see no. 2.)

6. Giving an attitude (not saying you planned on it, but alot of people do) will get you absolutely nowhere.

7. Your application will be processed in the same ammount of time, whether you call, write, email or visit.

8. The more people call, the more time it takes the detective(s) to do their job. The longer people keep them on the phone, the less time they have to process applications.

Please dont take offense to this, its just the way it is unfortunatley. I know the waiting game stinks....but there really is nothing you can do besides wait. It is completely out of your hands.

What I wrote is the way I see it, it is 100% one persons opinion, feel free to take it with a grain of salt. Thats just what I would do. Everyone is different. ;)

Good Luck, I hope you get it soon! Hey, you never know....he might say, 'Yes, its ready, come down anytime!' :) Be sure to keep us posted if you hear anything!

Also, find out who the detective is... and send them a hand written thank you note.... seriously. people appreciate it.

Absolutely.

After getting so many people B****ING at them all the time, it would be nice to hear a compliment once in a while. It wouldn't hurt to CC the chief on it either. Why not build a good rapport with your local PD.

NJ----The only state you have to beg for your rights. I believe the legal turn around time is 1 month. Good luck though on that point.

It is 1 month as it was written into law back in the day, who knows when.

just like it is the law that police officers must obey all traffic laws when not in pursuit. =P

To continue the trend of going off topic, that is one thing I never understood, Maks, about police officers. I mean no disrespect, but how does one maintain the laws when they stretch or break them themselves? (And I know its not everybody.) My best friend has been prepping his entire life to become a police officer, and is finally looking for a LEO job. I know the military mindset is different from the LEO mindset (military are boots on the ground [metaphorically], LEOs protect the community), but a civil servant/uniformed service ideal doesn't change much from one to the next. I am at the point of trying to deter my friend from becoming a LEO because while he probably has never thought of any other career ever, I do not think he has the right mentality to become a LEO. He's more worried about the money that he'll make (and fast track promotions with different departments, etc) then the job itself (so it seems). I know that people have to maintain a life style, but there will always be bills that cannot be paid... especially as a civil servant. I lived decently well when I was on the government's books, but it was never about the money-- it was about the mission.

Ok, back to topic.