GrumpyOldRetiree

Is carrying allowed on the D&R Canal tow path State Park

I frequently use the Delaware & Raritan Canal State Park tow path for hiking and biking.

There are places along the path the are pretty isolated and strike me as a good locations for an ambush to occur.

Because the trail is situated between the canal & the Raritan River there is really no escape route available.

Under the current TRO's/state appeals conditions the following are prohibited places:

(10) a park, beach, recreation facility or area or playground owned or controlled by a State, county or local government unit, or any part of such a place, which is designated as a gun free zone by the governing authority based on considerations of public safety;

I can't find anything indicating that the trail is a "designated gun free zone" but the wording is pretty ambiguous.

Dose anyone care to voice any opinion whether carrying is legal on this trail.

43 minutes ago, GrumpyOldRetiree said:

(10) a park, beach, recreation facility or area or playground owned or controlled by a State, county or local government unit, or any part of such a place, which is designated as a gun free zone by the governing authority based on considerations of public safety;

Dose anyone care to voice any opinion whether carrying is legal on this trail.

IANAL, but that's a park, so, no.

But why would one need protection in that park?

Woman sexually assaulted at gunpoint in D&R Canal State Park - centraljersey.com

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tunaman said:

YES N.J.A.C. 7:2–2.17(b) [preexisting law]: STATE PARK Service property.  As of right now you can carry as this part was enjoined.  If it is already designated as a "gun free zone"  you cant

I found references to this exact code section at https://www.news2a.com/nj-concealed-carry-faq/ that indicates this part of Judge Bumb’s preliminary injunction was negated (at least temporarily) by the third circuit partial stay. So the web site crossed it off the list of places you can carry.

I'm so confused!!!

The PARK must be designated as gun free zone. 

The park allows firearm hunting so you are GTG. 

Anyone looking to carry in a state or municipal managed park just needs to see if they allow firearm hunting for deer or waterfowl. Otherwise it might be difficult to know what it's classified if not stated somewhere. 

7 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

The PARK must be designated as gun free zone. 

The park allows firearm hunting so you are GTG. 

Anyone looking to carry in a state or municipal managed park just needs to see if they allow firearm hunting for deer or waterfowl. Otherwise it might be difficult to know what it's classified if not stated somewhere. 

Right now with the stay any state county or municipal  owned park is off limits for conceald carry