Sign in to follow this  
matt6669

LEO Experiences

I agree with the principle that for certain standards, such as speeding limits, rules are rules. Last ticket I received, which was my first, I didn't ask for any lenience or even hint at it-- why should I? I failed to maintain a standard that is truly in place to protect individuals (though it was downgraded). Whether or not speeding tickets is just a way for the municipality/state to make an extra buck is debatable (as shown)...

humn, great perspective. But if someone goes to the municipal court, pays the fine, or whatever, unsafe driving, or reduced speeding.... where does the money go, state or municipality?

Rules are rules, if speed limit is 55, and I am pulled over for 60... I am thankful if i dont get a ticket... unless I really wasnt going that fast. =)

Anytime we go over the posted speed limit, we accept the risk. unfair, perhaps, are the speed limits too low? perhaps. but it is the law on the books.

If speed limits were that much of a nuisance, I would move to Nebraska, South Dakota, or wherever it is, or was "reasonably prudent".

State Statute, the state gets something on the order of 80% of the fines. One municipality, Wayne IIRC actually replicated the entire moving section of title 39 (MV code) except for DUI in it's town ordinances so they kept all of the money generated.

But if someone goes to the municipal court, pays the fine, or whatever, unsafe driving, or reduced speeding.... where does the money go, state or municipalit

When I left municipal law enforcement to go to the federal government 9late 70s) my understanding was all the fines went to the state.

State Statute, the state gets something on the order of 80% of the fines.

This was probably changed to give the cities incentive to see more tickets were written.

One municipality, Wayne IIRC actually replicated the entire moving section of title 39 (MV code) except for DUI in it's town ordinances so they kept all of the money generated.

The city I worked in (in the 70s) didn't have all of Title 39 replicated just the parking provisons. They did have nearly all the Disorderly Persons offenses in the old 2A replicate in the city ordinances in most cases offenses were more clearly listed than in 2A. Anyone remember 2A:170-1, Failure to Give a Good account?

As to the comment about driving on the autobahns in Germany you need to take a driving school that require a road test of 8 hours minimum. This costs you at least $300 if you are not from the EU and if you are a new driver about $1500. You need a lot more training and education to get a German driving license.

As to the comment about driving on the autobahns in Germany you need to take a driving school that require a road test of 8 hours minimum. This costs you at least $300 if you are not from the EU and if you are a new driver about $1500. You need a lot more training and education to get a German driving license.

And what is wrong with this. I'm a flippin huge believer that in order to get your license in the US it needs to be harder, WAY harder. There are entirely too many accidents in this country because of stupid people who have no clue how to drive. I've been saying for years that we need to implement some form of a skip barber style schooling instead of this BS hands on driving at 16 with a guy who doesn't really give a crap how you drive, and has no idea how to teach you proper driving techniques. All he cares about is that little ole check.

Driving is a huge responsibility, if you can't fork out 300 dollars to take a silly driving test, then unfortunately you don't have enough money to buy a proper car, and therefore you should not be driving. Maybe this will give kids more of an incentive to get off of their lazy butts and get a job so that they can afford things like this!

I am also a firm believe that you need to be rechecked at a certain age to determine whether or not you are still capable of driving an automobile. Watching some of these 90 yr old people drive their cars at 15mph is insane, their going to kill themselves and other people as well.

and I'm not even going to say sorry for getting off topic b/c well its my thread :)

You can legally use an ordinary US driver license to drive in Germany for up to 6 months(or 12months if you register with local authorities). Some 26 states have complete reciprocity agreements and you can get a German license just by filling out the forms. 11 more states have partial reciprocity which is just a written test. Can you guess which 37 states have all or partial license reciprocity with Germany? They are pretty much the free states that allow CCW and have reasonable guns laws.. NJ, NY are out. Furthermore, it's a 1 time deal. The license is for life.

The Autobahns aren't special roads, they're no different than getting on to rt80 or any other highway(other than the quality of paving). It isn't so much the unlimited speed limits I was referring to so much as the dynamic speed limits. The limits MAKE SENSE. Around curves, they slow you down to 130kph, in towns it's 100kph or even 60kph through downtown areas. They modify the speed limits if it's raining, snowing, foggy, whatever. It is just how it should be. Limits that match the conditions. I would be perfectly happy to make people go through extra licensing if we could keep aholes out of the left lane going 63mph or any other erratic assinine behavior seen continuously on our roads.

I got caught recently by an NJSP doing a certain amount over the limit on Rt. 80. Guy let me off with a warning. Not all cops are bad, they have to enforce the rules, even the ones they don't like. It's part of the job.

I just wish police were more approachable. I'm lucky in my town, I got to interact with them as part of being a volunteer medic. But in the cities, it's difficult for them to do that, and that leads to many of the problems we see with police and their relationship with those communities.

Personally, I would like if the NJSP took on more of an "Urban Support" role, similar to the surge we had in Iraq. They would hit the major cities and establish a friendly community presence. Walk the beat, talk to people, kids, go to the schools, and patrol the night. I figure... if it worked to stop Iraqis from shooting our troops, it can help in places like Newark, JC, Trenton, and Camden.

Personally, I would like if the NJSP took on more of an "Urban Support" role, similar to the surge we had in Iraq. They would hit the major cities and establish a friendly community presence. Walk the beat, talk to people, kids, go to the schools, and patrol the night. I figure... if it worked to stop Iraqis from shooting our troops, it can help in places like Newark, JC, Trenton, and Camden.

Agreed. I had the opportunity to see it work first hand. I don't know if it would be effective in the US though. Many people in the States feel entitled; Iraqis had nothing, and just wanted to trust someone. Its a great idea though.

I just wish police were more approachable.

As far as what?

I guess this is more directed toward police in heavily populated urban areas. But generally putting a name/face to the person in the uniform/police car... because after while, when police are insulated from the community, it seems to dehumanize them a bit. Maybe I'm wrong, but police can seem that way sometimes.

I just wish police were more approachable. I'm lucky in my town, I got to interact with them as part of being a volunteer medic.

Volunteer Medic?

First responder at the Volunteer Emergency Squad.

ahh.. ok... I got you.. just saying because there are no Volunteer Paramedics in NJ. Volunteer EMT's.. of course.. but not medics (just another thing to add to the f**cked up list in NJ).

That was the theory of community policing. Larger cities like NYC actually have more personal contact as the patrol areas are small and done so by officers on foot. They do get to know the residents very well.

Mid size cities like mine do not have that luxury. Calls come in too fast to have some walking a beat area. Manpower is way down and things get cut.

That was the theory of community policing. Larger cities like NYC actually have more personal contact as the patrol areas are small and done so by officers on foot. They do get to know the residents very well.

Mid size cities like mine do not have that luxury. Calls come in too fast to have some walking a beat area. Manpower is way down and things get cut.

And that's an issue with New Jersey's cities. We need to take an NYC approach to improving the urban areas, invest heavily in police.

I find it a bit shameful that police in some rural towns with little to no crime (when compared to cities) have huge salaries, when guys taking hits in the streets of Newark get paid squat (in comparison).

Police pay should be somewhat proportional to risk.

I mean, I could be wrong... and it could be that way for all I know.