Mrs. Peel

Road Trip!! How to stash a rifle while on a car trip/staying over, etc.?

On 10/7/2023 at 12:01 PM, Mr.Stu said:

The only wrinkle I see with keeping it in the car is that PA has similar to/from laws as NJ unless you have an LTCF. 

I was thinking the same thing.  My understanding is that a carry permit from ANY state (eg. Utah/Florida non-resident) mitigates the to/from range transport restrictions.

11 hours ago, oldguysrule649 said:

I was thinking the same thing.  My understanding is that a carry permit from ANY state (eg. Utah/Florida non-resident) mitigates the to/from range transport restrictions.

IANAL, but as long as you are going from one of your residences to another (or your business or a range), you should be GTG.  The law does provide for reasonable stops (food, gas, etc).  It would be unreasonable to assume you would make a 5 day trek non stop.  You would just need to make sure that they allow guns on the premises where you stay, otherwise you have gone from a place where it was legal to a place where it was illegal and have now violated the FOPA conditions. 

1 hour ago, ESB said:

IANAL, but as long as you are going from one of your residences to another (or your business or a range), you should be GTG.  The law does provide for reasonable stops (food, gas, etc).  It would be unreasonable to assume you would make a 5 day trek non stop.  

Agreed, but I'm much less worried about the legality of the move than I am about theft while I'm in transit.  And I need to research Illinois a little more...NY doesn't really recognize the FOPA's protections for moving between residences, and it's possible that Illinois is backwards enough to also ignore federal law.