SYakoban

NJ Legal self defense ammo?

I'm a relatively new owner, been to the range w/my 9mm and FMJ ammo.

I've read articles that call it practice ammo and talk about self-defense ammo being better. Everything self-defense seems to be hollow point and/or fluted. I know hollows are effectively illegal in Jersey except certain conditions that don't apply to me/my 9mm. So, is there a "self-defense" type of round that is legal here or is it merely FMJs and those Texas kinds of guys just laugh at us?

Thank you, guys!

https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml #13

I’m not a police officer, are hollow points legal for me to possess?

Yes.  They are legal for purchase and possess in your home or on land owned by you.  They are legal to possess and use at a gun range.  They are also legal to possess while traveling to and from such places. Ammunition lacking a hollow cavity at the tip, such as those with a polymer filling, are not considered to be hollow point ammunition.  An example of this can be seen with the Hornady Critical Defense / Critical Duty, Cor-Bon PowRball / Glaser Safety Slug and Nosler Inc. Defense ammunition.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SYakoban said:

@Krdshrk

Interesting - thanks.

Do you know of any official state documentation that backs up your quote?

Follow the link on the first line of @Krdshrk's reply. The quote is taken directly from the NJSP web site.

• Agree 1