sroc112

Understanding Constitutional Carry for Out of State Residents

While it may be a dumb question to ask - states that ate listed as constitutional carry or permitless carry - the language reads as anyone who is legally allowed to possess a firearm, may carry. I just want to confirm my understanding, in that sentence means both for residents of that state, and non residents as well? In reading through some permitless carry states language, they still do seem to also list the states in which they recognize non resident permits as well. What is the point of recognizing another states permits if ultimately anyone is able to carry, so long as they are allowed to lawfully own/possess a firearm in general? That does not mean that only those who are licensed to carry elsewhere?

Will be going on a trip to VT soon and realize they are permitless and wondering how that ties with a non resident from NJ, not currently licensed to carry in NJ.

I don’t know about Vermont, but in Texas, a non-resident who is legally able to own a handgun are able to carry under ‘constitutional carry’. 
You do not need a LTC from your home state to become eligible to carry, but be advised, a LTC holder from Texas (or a state that has reciprocity with Texas), has much fewer restrictions placed upon them than constitutional carriers. 

Non-LTC holders can be outright prohibited from carrying in certain places, while licensed carry is legal for those same places.

I understand that many other states hold the same or similar laws as Texas. 

4 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

I don’t know about Vermont, but in Texas, a non-resident who is legally able to own a handgun are able to carry under ‘constitutional carry’. 
You do not need a LTC from your home state to become eligible to carry, but be advised, a LTC holder from Texas (or a state that has reciprocity with Texas), has much fewer restrictions placed upon them than constitutional carriers. 

Non-LTC holders can be outright prohibited from carrying in certain places, while licensed carry is legal for those same places.

I understand that many other states hold the same or similar laws as Texas. 

Ditto for AZ

Vermont has been permitless/Constitutional carry for many years, for everybody.  Constitutional carry states can still issue licenses to carry.  

Maine is a Constitutional carry state, but a license to carry is still needed to carry in certain areas including some parks.

On 12/26/2023 at 9:01 AM, father-of-three said:

Vermont has been permitless/Constitutional carry for many years, for everybody.  Constitutional carry states can still issue licenses to carry.  

Maine is a Constitutional carry state, but a license to carry is still needed to carry in certain areas including some parks.

New Hampshire is the similar regarding parks. For several years, I have obtained a "native" non-resident carry permit in each state where I spend significant time, even if I am entitled to carry there by virtue of that state recognizing a permit I already hold for another state. My logic is that, while I take pains to stay informed on where my permits entitle me to carry, the cop who pulls me over for some driving infraction might not be so knowledgeable, and I could conceivably end up needing to call a lawyer at 2 AM from some boondock police station as a result. I figure that same cop would need to be monumentally stupid not to recognize a permit from his own state. I have continued this practice even as some of those states became Constitutional carry (and after I obtained NJ PtC), although I admit the logic has become somewhat less compelllng.