MB24

Traveling NJ to Florida with handgun

Just looking for some insight by those of you that might do this often. I have a NJ permit, Fla non resident & Pa non resident permits. Be making one overnight stop. Any input/ advice would be appreciated. My research shows in both Maryland and DC I'll need to lock them up. Other states as follows:

STATE         ACCEPTS

Delaware             FLA

Maryland            lock it

DC                      lock it

Virginia              NJ, FLA, PA

NC                     NJ. FLA, PA

SC                       FLA

Ga                    NJ, FLA, PA  - I believe it’s now permitless.

I believe loaded in the glove box is OK in SC. I refuse to go through DC so I take 81 down. Much nicer drive than 95. You won't pick up 95 till you're in SC and you're only in MD for 8 miles I believe.

Here is the info I was given when I asked US Law Shield about SC.

VEHICLE CARRY

South Carolina will allow anyone who is eligible to own a firearm, to carry a loaded handgun in their vehicle, regardless of whether or not they have a concealed weapons permit. The handgun may be loaded, and carried concealed on your person if you are at least 21 years of age and have a valid concealed weapon permit or concealed under the seat. South Carolina also allows anyone who is at least 18 years of age and not prohibited from carrying a weapon to carry a handgun secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle. Also, shotguns and rifles may be carried in the open in your vehicle without a permit when going hunting or another such sporting activity such as skeet or trap shooting. S.C. Code Ann. §16-23-20(9).

South Carolina is probably the best gun friendly state (with the least limitations) that requires a license or their limited reciprocity. 

It's a little longer, but I-81 to I-77 south, to I-26, to I-95 only leaves 11 miles of Maryland on I-81 to transport under the firearms owners protection act (FOPA).

On 12/29/2023 at 6:07 PM, father-of-three said:

South Carolina is probably the best gun friendly state (with the least limitations) that requires a license or their limited reciprocity. 

It's a little longer, but I-81 to I-77 south, to I-26, to I-95 only leaves 11 miles of Maryland on I-81 to transport under the firearms owners protection act (FOPA).

Most likely taking the ferry to Delaware then Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel. 

On 12/31/2023 at 1:51 PM, MB24 said:

Most likely taking the ferry to Delaware then Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel. 

Are you thinking of carrying concealed during the ferry crossing? I couldn't find an explicit yea or nay on their site. I personally would not attempt that unless I obtained something from them in writing stating that it is OK. If you are planning to travel with the firearm stored in your vehicle, you should make sure you are FOPA compliant. I did read in their FAQ that by buying passage, they claim that you grant their security the right to search your vehicle without the need to show cause.

On 12/29/2023 at 6:07 PM, father-of-three said:

But SC does not accept non-resident permits and do not reciprocate with states that do not reciprocate with them (ie NJ).  The only way to get a CWP in SC as a NJ resident is to own property and show your tax assessment.  

And yes, def take 81 and not 95 down.  

8 hours ago, ESB said:

But SC does not accept non-resident permits and do not reciprocate with states that do not reciprocate with them (ie NJ).  The only way to get a CWP in SC as a NJ resident is to own property and show your tax assessment.  

And yes, def take 81 and not 95 down.  

Correct, but I believe they are the only non-constitutiional carry state that you can keep a firearm loaded without a license in a vehicle ( glove box) and not have to worry about FOPA issues.

1 hour ago, father-of-three said:

Correct, but I believe they are the only non-constitutiional carry state that you can keep a firearm loaded without a license in a vehicle ( glove box) and not have to worry about FOPA issues.

I know that applies to SC residents, but I'm not sure if it applies to SC non-residents.  

I've been to several sites, uscca, handguns.us, us law shield and they don't seem to give the same info as to what states your good and what states are a no go. Don't know if they're up to date to not. So I'm thinking since I have a NJ and Fla permit, carry to the ferry,  lock it up and take it out in florida. We make 1 stop usually in SC in which case I would bring it in the motel.

5 hours ago, MB24 said:

So South Carolina is good to carry with NJ CCW?

My understanding from what father-of-three said above is that anyone who can legally own a handgun can carry in their vehicle in SC.  You do not need a CWP from any state to carry in your vehicle in SC. 

Not sure what happens if you have to get out to pump gas or something, do you have to secure it inside the vehicle?  Keep one foot in the vehicle while you pump...  ;) 

UPDATE: See below.  Basically, without a SC CWP, you can only transport a firearm in a similar manner as you would under FOPA, with the exception that the gun may be loaded and a locked glovebox is an acceptable location.  You CANNOT carry it on your person without a SC CWP.  

Can you carry a firearm in your car in South Carolina? | TheGunZone

"In South Carolina, you can carry a firearm in your car without a permit, as long as it is secured in a closed glove compartment, console, or trunk."

Can I carry a firearm in my car if I am not a resident of South Carolina?

If you are legally allowed to possess a firearm in your home state, you can carry it in your car while traveling through South Carolina.

Can I carry a firearm in my car if it is not secured?

No, if the firearm is not secured in a closed glove compartment, console, or trunk, you will need to have a valid permit to carry it in your vehicle.

Can I carry a firearm in my car if it is located in a holster?

If you have a valid concealed weapons permit, you can carry a firearm in your car in a holster on your person.