Sign in to follow this  
JonF

Ultra lightweight 10/22 project

With the coming of spring this year, it was time to break out the rifles and get out to the outdoor range. I began thinking that the 10/22 benchrest/target project i built last year was an amazingly accurate gun, but just so unweildy and totally overkill for a day of plinking. I mean, its setup to shoot the hair of a gnat's arse at 50 yards, but sometimes when your plinking clays, paintballs and old computer parts, who cares about dime sized groups. I thought i would start a new project that is as lightweight as possible but without going to buck wild with the costs.

The very essence of this projects is that everything must be lightweight. Again, this notion was spawned after i tried holding up my target gun for a few rounds of offhand plinking one day. What i wanted was something that was not only substantially lighter than stock, but also improved in usability. I came to the conclusion that the barrel and stock were the two places were weight can be greatly saved in terms of replacement aftermarket parts. The rest of the items would remain save for some simple trigger/action work to improve that. Lastly, i would add have to some optics that would provide an aiming system since the iron sights were going away. Consideration would be given here to a balance of weight and usability of course.

I started by picking up a simple new beech/blued 10/22 on sale from the local sporting goods store. This one was the least expensive model since several of the components were largely going to be cast aside for the build. This model also has the new plastic trigger guard which i'm actually pleased to have for the small weight savings it offers.

For the stock i chose the Blackhawk Axiom for several reasons. First and foremost is the weight. It really is light as a feather and is comfortable to boot. The pistol grip gives great positioning and control, the stock is adjustable and molded at a level to give a good cheek weld for the scope. They offer a cheek riser piece but it seems unnecessary now given the ergonomics with the low mounted scope.

For the barrel, the lightest ones out there are probably the carbon sleeved models but they come at quite a premium. I chose the Tactical solutions fluted aluminum model as a compromise of weight/cost since the law of diminishing returns starts to set in beyond this price point.

For the action, a simple VQ hammer was installed along with thier auto bolt release. These two mods make using and shooting the gun so much better than the stock experience. Again, the action doesn't get substantially better past just the hammer. I have a full kit in my target model and its just perfect but not essential for this utility oriented build. I should also mention that the trigger guard is the new plastic model as is the trigger itself and mag release. While i was a little disheartened to see the switchover from Ruger, i actually desired these specific parts for this build due to the weight savings they'll provide. Its not much, but cumulatively, its greatly contributes in the end.

For the optics, i chose the Simmons 22Mag 3-9x40 AO scope for its standout light weight amongst its competitors and the good reviews it seems to garner. Its price is right as well. The view though it is quite nice and am happy with its quality as i never spend so little for a scope before. To mount it, i used the lightweight aluminum OEM weaver rail and some lightweight aluminum Leupold medium height rings. This combination leaves plenty room for the scope caps up front and enough for some flip covers in the future.

Assembly was straightforward and the action fits tight in the Axiom stock. I'm very pleased with the overall turnout and it really is a featherweight build. I just finished assembling the rifle so I'll report back soon with a report. In the mean time, here's an interesting list of weights of the various components that make up a stock blued and stainless rifle models, plus the aftermarket components and overall weight (measured by hanging from Lyman digital gauge).

A typical stock 10/22 is approx 5.5 lbs

Ultra lightweight 10/22 fully assembled (no scope): 3lb 7oz

Ultra lightweight 10/22 fully assembled (with scope): 4lb 7oz

From the total weight values above, you can see that if you were to put an even lighter, small, fixed mag scope or even simple iron sights, you could have a very lightweight gun for hunting or plinking. This rivals the the weight of the Magnum research ultra lightweight 10/22 based production gun for half the cost using much of the same components. Which, incidentally, was part of my inspiration and drive to build this.

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

IMG_1734.jpg

Grip is hollow to save weight!

IMG_1729.jpg

Grip is glock-like in shape. Would probably take a Hogue slip on sleeve easily.

IMG_1735.jpg

Foreend is heavily perforated and fluted to save weight. It has good girth for gripping as well.

IMG_1736.jpg

Barrel is fully floated.