DCarolloLaw

Car Gun Safe for Conceal Carry in NJ

Hi All,

I am purchasing a gun safe for my vehicle in New jersey. I have my conceal carry, but would like a place to store my gun when I go to sensitive locations. In any case, the forums seem to be all over the place in terms of storage.

My specific question is whether the below safe would be OK in the state of NJ? My once concerns is that the safe itself sits in plain site as it is attached next to the passenger seat of the vehicle. Anyone else have this safe or any advice as to whether it would be OK to leave a weapon unloaded/ no ,mag in this while inside sensitive location?

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Rapid-Safe-Vehicle-Steel/dp/B07754NPVZ?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Seems a bit pricy. Now if this safe has a much stronger box it might be worth it. However, the weak link in most safes is the cable.  A thief would cut the cable and figure out how to get the safe open later.  If they.cant they'll probably just toss the entire safe with firearm in a dumpster.

39 minutes ago, DCarolloLaw said:

Thanks for the comment. However, I am really looking to see whether this would be an acceptable storage container in New Jersey given that it is meant to be stored in plain sight (i.e. next to passenger seat/console area). 

I believe its out of plain sight 

I am not sure if they are legal if they are placed as designed. I think the statute is poorly phrased (what a surprise!)

It reads:

A holder of a valid and lawfully issued permit to carry a handgun shall not leave a handgun outside of their immediate possession or control within a parked vehicle, unless the handgun is unloaded and contained in a closed and securely fastened case, or gunbox, and is not visible from outside of the vehicle, or is locked unloaded in the trunk or storage area of the vehicle.

The subject of the sentence is clearly the gun. If it is in a locked container the gun will automatically be out of sight. They probably intended that the container must be out of sight, but that is not what they wrote.

I looked into the RapidSafe as I have them inside my home for staged guns. The quick access RFID function is very good.

It seems from the reviews that they are very unstable when you use the air cushion to hold them in place and I do not see the need for quick access in a vehicle.

I opted for the less expensive Hornady key safe which slides easily under the seat to be out of sight. The key safe got a not terrible review from LPL. Bear in mind he picks the lock on everything.

• Like 1

I put a cable lock in with the jack…just run it down the barrel or through trigger and go through jack frame mount…they can cut the cable but they would have to find it first….and even they do….i did the best possible….

• Like 1

I have a Vaultek Lifepod 2.0 in both of my vehicles. Use it for more than the gun. Store wallet and other stuff. A little pricey but hides easily and comes with cable.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FDHog said:

I have a Vaultek Lifepod 2.0 in both of my vehicles. Use it for more than the gun. Store wallet and other stuff. A little pricey but hides easily and comes with cable.

Same here. Works well and I take it travel on vacation etc

• Like 2

Wow havent been on the board in a while and happy i saw this thread.   Im in the market for a "slimmer" pistol case.  We are getting new bedroom furniture and my existing BARSKA top opening (13 years old) will not fit in the new night stands..   NJ Sig and FDHog are you pleased with how the fingerprint response is on this Vaultek?  thanks..

The life pods I have aren't biometric, but they do make a special edition. I have a Lifepod XT for the range, and the biometric scanner works great on that. I wouldn't expect it to be any different.

6 hours ago, Barms said:

Wow havent been on the board in a while and happy i saw this thread.   Im in the market for a "slimmer" pistol case.  We are getting new bedroom furniture and my existing BARSKA top opening (13 years old) will not fit in the new night stands..   NJ Sig and FDHog are you pleased with how the fingerprint response is on this Vaultek?  thanks..

I have the biometric and it’s been flawless thus far. Very happy with it all around