Sign in to follow this  
frankiethefish

Do you need a FID to buy ammo?

Hopefully someone here can help me out.

I've looked through the pages on NJ law and can't seem to find anything on this. I applied for my FID and am waiting to hear back. So I figure I might as well start looking for ammo now since it might take a while to find it (45 acp). It'll suck if I get my FID and gun, and then have to wait a month to go to the range cause I can't find any ammo.

So can I buy/own the ammo without a FID?

You need a FID to purchase any ammo in NJ that can be used in a pistol. Some stores take it a step further and require a FID for all ammo. You can purchase ammo online at some places with no FID, cheaperthandirt.com for example, or take a ride to PA, all that is required is proof of age.

Sorry to hijack....Ron, any word on your fid yet??? Going on 6 weeks or so right?

It's just past the 30 day mark. Still haven't heard anything yet, maybe the letter will be there when I get home. Right now because of my business trip to SoCal next week I'm in no rush since I won't be able to purchase anything till I get back and reimbursed for any business lunches. If its not in yet when I get back on the 17th I'm going to give them a call to see what the hold up is because then it will be on the 6th week. If anything the wait has given me plenty of time to decide on what to get.

Yeah I did see in that other thread that some stores in PA will sell it without checking for a FID.

OK so I definately can't buy it in NJ. But from your comment about PA does that mean I can own it, I just can't buy it here? Hypothetically, let's say I buy it in PA and then get pulled over in NJ on the way home. I have ammo in the car and no FID (but no firearm either, just the ammo)... Am i OK?

2C:58-3.3 "Handgun ammunition" defined; sale, purchase, etc., regulated; violation, fourth degree crime.

1. a. As used in this act, "handgun ammunition" means ammunition specifically designed to be used only in a handgun. "Handgun ammunition" shall not include blank ammunition, air gun pellets, flare gun ammunition, nail gun ammunition, paint ball ammunition, or any non-fixed ammunition.

b.No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of, or receive, purchase, or otherwise acquire handgun ammunition unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder is licensed as a manufacturer, wholesaler, or dealer under this chapter or is the holder of and possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card, a valid copy of a permit to purchase a handgun, or a valid permit to carry a handgun and first exhibits such card or permit to the seller, donor, transferor or assignor.

c.No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of handgun ammunition to a person who is under 21 years of age.

d.The provisions of this section shall not apply to a collector of firearms or ammunition as curios or relics who purchases, receives, acquires, possesses, or transfers handgun ammunition which is recognized as being historical in nature or of historical significance.

e.A person who violates this section shall be guilty of a crime of the fourth degree, except that nothing contained herein shall be construed to prohibit the sale, transfer, assignment or disposition of handgun ammunition to or the purchase, receipt or acceptance of ammunition by a law enforcement agency or law enforcement official for law enforcement purposes.

f.Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the transfer of ammunition for use in a lawfully transferred firearm in accordance with the provisions of section 1 of P.L.1992, c.74 (C.2C:58-3.1), section 1 of P.L.1997, c.375 (C.2C:58-3.2) or section 14 of P.L.1979, c.179 (C.2C:58-6.1).

g.Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the sale of a de minimis amount of handgun ammunition at a firearms range operated by a licensed dealer; a law enforcement agency; a legally recognized military organization; or a rifle or pistol club which has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent for immediate use at that range.