Sign in to follow this  
mike

model m&p150 orc rifle

can someone tell me pros and cons of this rifle.prices are all over the spectrum from 800.00 to infinity any feedback would be appreciated.new to the ar scene.but not new to firearms thanks in advance

I have one myself, and its a great rifle for the money. I'll expand a bit, as that's what you probably want.

Cons:

- No sights! If you already have optics or backup sights, then this is a moot point. Otherwise, you'll be staring at a naked rifle until you can get something on it.

- Top rails are a bit short. This is not just an MP15ORC issue, but any flat top carbine. If you're planning on adding backup rear sights and optics (like an Aimpoint, EOTech), you'll feel a bit cluttered. This is preference though, I personally don't like clutter. This is a non-issue though if you get something like the Daniel Defense FF Omega rails because it seamlessly adds to the upper's rail. To add: If you're adding a front sight, make sure you read reviews or details. Because the gas block is railed, some products will not work. I wanted to get the Magpul front/rear sights, but turns out that Magpul does not recommend their system for railed gas blocks

- Factory magazine. I'm sure it works fine, but compared to the PMags (from Paul @ AnA) its not up to snuff. I just feel that it'll cause a misfeed.

Pros:

- Weight. Personally, I like light rifles. Given, I'm not going to go hump 20K, but it does allow for easier transportation. This might be a negative though because I know some people prefer a heavier rifle/stock for numerous reasons.

- Not so picky. I haven't had any issues with different ammo yet. I've cycled Remington UMC, PMC, Wolf, and Black Hills with no failures of any kind. I'm sure there will be a put-put, but with proper maintenance it'll most likely be the fault of the mag.

- Like any other AR, once you break one down, you've broken them all down. No surprises when you open it up, though I recommend getting the handguard removal tool if you don't want to possibly spear your rifle across the room from the frustration. First time cleaning/oiling it was a pain to get the takedown pins open... but with some lube, it was fine.

- Price. CHEAP. I know the prices for ARs are going down (right?), but it is still a very high quality, cheap alternative. I bought mine for $900, and I know you could get it for much cheaper.

With that said, I'm going to replace my handguards, bolt/bolt carrier, charging handle, and possibly the stock (I prefer a more solid feeling stock). All the noted items are fine-- there are just really good aftermarket items out there. Now, if you're looking for a Colt, get a Colt. All black rifles, IMO, will function as needed as long as they are maintained. However, that doesn't mean all black rifles are equals. If you're looking for high quality stuff, get a Colt or Noveske. There are plenty of black rifles on the market. Personally, I'm going to always hold on to my MP15, but will eventually get a Colt and/or Noveske because the quality will eventually meet the proper application (IE. If I opt to go to a multiple day, intensive carbine course).

Best of luck, hope I helped, and I'm sure others will have more to add. Its all preference, and if you know what you want to use it for, then I say the MP15ORC is an easy choice in the black rifle market. Overall, it gives the shooter, you, a blank canvas of sorts to modify it as you wish.