flyingcowofdoom

How do you unload a chambered round?

Trying to catch it just as it leaves the ejection port is a recipe for possible disaster. It is just too easy to have it fail to leave the breach area and be re chambered. Letting it fall to the ground or other surface will not harm it. In most cases homes have either carpet or a wood floor, neither of which will damage the round.

Trying to save a fifty cent round and possibly having a negligent discharge is foolhardy.

I keep a five gallon bucket filled with sand for this type of situation. I drop the mag, point the rocknroll towards the sand, and rack the slide. Every building in the field that I saw always had a couple of these in designated areas right outside. Figured it would be a good idea for the homestead.

Just make sure its all sand though. Rocks and whatnot might cause ricochet or fragments.

Drop Mag

Point barrel down-range

Point ejection port towards the shooting bench (rotating about the axis of the barrel)

Rack slide gently

OR

Point barrel downrange

Rack slide

Pull trigger

Repeat until slide locks back

:)

So far I haven't chambered outside of a range, however.

Drop mag. Rack slide briskly with port facing down.

I think it depends on the circumstances I rack the slide slowly if the reason I am UN loading is due to a suspected malfunction. I shoot a lot of .22 so duds are common and I like to see what