rauchman

Scored an AR15 complete lower at Orange Cnty Fair Grnds

Greetings,

Was at the gun show at the Orange County Fair Grounds this past Saturday. Pretty much the same vendors that were there last March. One table was selling AR parts, but wouldn't sell a stripped upper to a NJ'er. Found another table with the same policy, however, this table also had completed lowers (basically a completed lower w/ pistol grip, but no buffer tube) that he was willing to sell. Anyway, picked up a Yankee Hill Machine lower for $225. Thought the price was decent considering it was a completed lower. One of the ammo tables had lots of PRVI ammo in 55grM193 and 62gr M855, but no 69gr or 75gr match. I've never used this ammo, but have read from numerous sources that it's very accurate. The M193 is supposed to be actual Mi-Spec as is the M855. Couldn't believe the prices on pistol ammo. Amercian Eagle 9mm 115gr FMJ for $18/box of 50.

Anyway, walked away with the lower, a G19 mag, a vice block for an AR15 upper, and a new forward hand grip for my wife's AR.

One table was selling AR parts, but wouldn't sell a stripped upper to a NJ'er. Found another table with the same policy, however, this table also had completed lowers (basically a completed lower w/ pistol grip, but no buffer tube) that he was willing to sell.

That is backwards!

The first table refused to sell you parts that weren't a gun, but the second guy would sell you the gun? The lower receiver is the gun!

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense. You can have a complete upper shipped right to your door... let alone a stripped upper. Can't imagine why they wouldn't sell you one

Out of curiosity, did you happen to catch the price of 55gr PRVI?

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense. You can have a complete upper shipped right to your door... let alone a stripped upper. Can't imagine why they wouldn't sell you one

Out of curiosity, did you happen to catch the price of 55gr PRVI?

Bizarre.... absolutely!!! From what both vendors said, a totally stripped lower could be made into a "pistol" and therefore has to be sold in state. O lower w/ LPK can be sold to an out of stater, or at least that's what the vendor said that sold me the lower. Even he admitted, the law was very strange. I don't get it, since, obviously, a completed lower could be just as easily made into a "pistol".

The 55gr PRVI was $449/case... I think. I understand this load developes a true 3200fps out of a 20" barrel and is constructed very similarly to Lake City 55gr M193. This load is not the most accurate, but does get milspec velocity and is of very similar construction. I think 2 MOA is pretty standard for this load.

Wait - are we talking about lowers or uppers?? I thought you said in your original post they wouldn't sell you a stripped upper... maybe that was a typo? If it was lowers you were talking about, then yes, some law was either passed or changed or something about a year ago (if i remember correctly) that prohibited the sale of stripped lowers to out of state residents unless sent directly to an FFL because, like you said, they can made into "pistols". So, if you were talking about lowers and not uppers, that's, unfortunately, pretty common I think

The dealer at the Fairgrounds illegally transferred rauchman a lower receiver. Only rifles and shotguns (LINK) can be transferred to out-of-state buyers. Uppers are only parts and can be sold to anyone.

Actually, he did worse that than. He transferred to him a lower receiver which is currently classified in PA as a handgun! Lower receivers are only sold as handguns now in PA, and some (smarter? more careful? more paranoid?) dealers won't sell AR-15 rifles as rifles since they contain a part which is classified as a handgun when sold separately....

Wait - are we talking about lowers or uppers?? I thought you said in your original post they wouldn't sell you a stripped upper... maybe that was a typo? If it was lowers you were talking about, then yes, some law was either passed or changed or something about a year ago (if i remember correctly) that prohibited the sale of stripped lowers to out of state residents unless sent directly to an FFL because, like you said, they can made into "pistols". So, if you were talking about lowers and not uppers, that's, unfortunately, pretty common I think

Yup, good catch. I purchased a LOWER, not an upper. This is going to become an SPR type rifle.