Sign in to follow this  
223lover

Does refinishing hurt value?

I just picked up a 1969 4" Python in nickle. I was so excited I didn't even notice the plating had worn off on the right side. It's gone about a quarter inch wide on the barrel, and cylinder. I guess it was a working LEO's gun. So while it is going to be a shooter, if i replate it,would I get my cost of replating back when I sell it? As it is, it's only going to be worth what I paid for it today. Also, does a collector want the "soul" it has now or want to see the bling?

would depend if it is a shooter or collector + quality of refinish -

I just picked up a 1969 4" Python in nickle. I was so excited I didn't even notice the plating had worn off on the right side. It's gone about a quarter inch wide on the barrel, and cylinder. I guess it was a working LEO's gun. So while it is going to be a shooter, if i replate it,would I get my cost of replating back when I sell it? As it is, it's only going to be worth what I paid for it today. Also, does a collector want the "soul" it has now or want to see the bling?

you were scammed

Immediately get rid of that gun. As a favor since you are a forum member, I will take it off your hands for $50

*The preceding was brought to you by the sarcastic society of New Jersey

Wow Tiny, I am humbled by your generosity! However, as painful as it may be for me to keep it, I must decide whether to sell it or make a cigarette lighter out of it. But I do appreciate your offer. Pretty much -I don't see me making any profit on it as sinking another $300 would still only get me to the break even point. Right now I have 6 into it, add another 3 for plating, and then sell it for the going rate of MAYBE $800, and I won't this beauty, and still lost a hundred bucks.

(tongue planted firmly in cheek). The pre-alpha serial number might help the price, and it is smoohter than my other Pythons. The balance is great. Lock up is tight. It's just those friggin wear marks are drivin me nuts.