Sign in to follow this  
jermz1987

Great website for gun reviews!!!

http://www.gundirectory.com/index.asp

I only post it here because I'm hoping to soon become a new firearm owner and I read the reviews from this website all the time, hopefully it will help me make a good choice.

PS if this is in the wrong section......my bad.

Yeah, GunDirectory is a good site. However, it runs very slowly (at least for me and several of my friends).

I'm working on a similar project, http://www.whichgun.com (I am a Web developer and database administrator).

It will include information on all currently available firearms, several articles that I have written about choosing the right gun, gun safety, etc.

There's still a lot of work to be done, but it should be up and running by the end of the year.

Yeah, video reviews would be a great addition. I've already spoken with nutnfancy over on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/nutnfancy) as he has a lot of great video reviews, and he's given me permission to embed his videos in the site I'm building.

nutnfancy is AWESOME!

Yes he is awesome. I love all of his videos, and he does a great job reviewing all those guns and other items. I am very happy that I will be able to use all of this excellent media for the http://www.whichgun.com site I'm working on.

keep us posted on the site, One thing I always thought would be cool to see on a gun review site is have pictures of people holding there guns.from the wrists down, For those people who want to order a gun without holding one, they could see how big or small the gun looks in the hands. LOL :lol:......I can dream...

keep us posted on the site, One thing I always thought would be cool to see on a gun review site is have pictures of people holding there guns.from the wrists down, For those people who want to order a gun without holding one, they could see how big or small the gun looks in the hands. LOL :lol:......I can dream...

Sure, I found one of a Beretta 92FS that I could use --

fat_bump_fire_guy.jpg

:mrgreen: :lol:

Seriously though, it's a good idea, although since everybody's hands are of different dimensions, a picture may not be an accurate representation of how the gun will fit in your hands. It's also something that I would have to find or make images of the hundreds of guns that will be listed, so it might not be practical to do. But I will definitely look into doing something like this; thank you for the suggestion!

Sneak peek at a semi-completed WhichGun.com page:

Notes:

• [*:1t6wtnol]Scaled-down image for faster downloading. Text won't be that small on the site ;)
    [*:1t6wtnol]Semi-completed -- A lot of data is missing, has 'filler' data to show the layout, etc.
    [*:1t6wtnol]Gives an idea of where I am going with this. Final version will probably look somewhat different.

If you have any suggestions, comments, or criticisms, please let me know.

I hope to get this project completed by late December 2009.

looking good, cant wait to see the finished product. Maybe there could be some gun history On each gun, Well maybe not all of them, Like which army uses it or which police department used it. Not on all the guns, but maybe the known models. Like the 92fs, 1911, Glock, S&W, CZ. Like a link to a Wikipedia page for the gun. Anywho its looking good. :clap:

looking good, cant wait to see the finished product. Maybe there could be some gun history On each gun, Well maybe not all of them, Like which army uses it or which police department used it. Not on all the guns, but maybe the known models. Like the 92fs, 1911, Glock, S&W, CZ. Like a link to a Wikipedia page for the gun. Anywho its looking good. :clap:

That's a great idea about the history and Wikipedia. I could actually automatically pull current data from Wikipedia and insert it directly into pages on WhichGun.com. That's one of the great things about Wikipedia -- they allow free use of their content elsewhere. So if someone clicked on the link on WhichGun for the Ruger SR9, I could automatically grab text and images from Wikipedia's Ruger SR9 article.

Hopefully there already is an API to pull content from Wikipedia, but even if there isn't, it would be easy for myself to write some basic code to do this.

Thanks for the suggestion!