tbtrout

Ported barrels

My Mossberg 835 smooth barrel is ported.

Before I put the limbsaver on it the recoil was fairly heavy like a standard pump.

About the only thing I can tell that the ports do is make it louder for everyone nearby and maybe stop some muzzle rise.

Tim, out of curiosity, were you asking about something like a Vang Comp port job (for a HD gun) or just in general? The reason I ask is because, supposedly, the VangComp style port jobs slightly decrease felt recoil, but where they shine is in the tight pattern of the shot. I don't know how this compares to the ports on something like Mark's 835, which IS pretty loud (but not as loud as my 590 ;) )

Pete,

I was looking at magna port. I keep seeing it on new shotguns and thought if it was worth it I would have it done on the 20 ga I am fixing up for my son. I want to put together a soft shooting pump for when he gets a little older. I was looking at porting or a hydrolic recoil reducing but plate.

Pete,

I was looking at magna port. I keep seeing it on new shotguns and thought if it was worth it I would have it done on the 20 ga I am fixing up for my son. I want to put together a soft shooting pump for when he gets a little older. I was looking at porting or a hydrolic recoil reducing but plate.

I've been looking for a gas operated 20 ga semi for this purpose...

Pete,

I've been looking for a gas operated 20 ga semi for this purpose...

The problem is, every time I look for something I find it. Which is nice, but gets expensive. I got a killer deal on a Mossberg 500 in 20 ga that I am going to give him after he hunts with a single shot for a year or two. That still gives me 3 years if he takes the test at 10. but hey, you never know what I may find by then.

Limbsaver slip on pad?

Limbsaver makes a screw on and a slip on. I have two slip ons - one for my Ithaca Pump and one for my Mosin M44. I love both of them, and I can take the slip on off the Mosin so it fits in my storage cabinet. Disadvantage to a slip on with a child is increased LOP.

That's why I have been looking for a 20 semi - and I don't want to scare her away from it. She's comfortable with her little 22 and my Ruger Mk2, but was not ready for even a 380 handgun. I expect that will come with time.

Limbsaver slip on pad? my issue is I do not want to dissuade him from using it because of a sharp recoil. I wil check out the compstock also. I'll pay a little more if it helps hiim out and makes him want to shoot it.

I have a Limbsavers on both of my guns and they work really well for me. I don't even feel the hit shooting clays, and they're actually softer than the new semis I've tried with the recoil dampers in the stock.

The guns are still a little snappy when I shoot slugs, but I don't do that very often. Usually just to be sociable when I'm on the rifle range with people.

Although it worked out as an added advantage for me, the pads add about an inch to the overall length of the stock. That may be an issue for a youth stock that has to fit a small framed shooter. Also, they need to be checked periodically during shooting for any sideways slipping. Just give them an occasional push back onto the butt and all is well.

ETA:

Picked mine up at WalMart for about $20. I think they're branded in a Winchester package. Available in Sm, Med, and Lg sizes. The medium fits both the 500 and Godzilla just fine.

That's why I have been looking for a 20 semi - and I don't want to scare her away from it. She's comfortable with her little 22 and my Ruger Mk2, but was not ready for even a 380 handgun. I expect that will come with time.

Dan a semi using ultra lite trap loads would have the least amount of recoil, I started my daughter this way 6-7 years ago.

In the handgun department after learing on a 22 semi and a 22 revolver I moved her up to a bigger revolver using low power 38s that have almost no recoil coming out of a 6" barrel , I feel the movement of the slide on semi's can be a little intimidating for beginners.

Limbsaver slip on pad? my issue is I do not want to dissuade him from using it because of a sharp recoil. I wil check out the compstock also. I'll pay a little more if it helps hiim out and makes him want to shoot it.

I would definitely look at getting a Limbsaver for a shotgun unless the length is an issue. There is no downside and it makes it much more comfy to shoot. I have the screw-on that made for my gun. See if you have a direct fit: http://www.limbsaver.com/2009/products/ ... on.php#two

You can also get him a shooting pad for his shoulder to start with. That'll give him some confidence...after a while he'll stop using it.

I do have to do some stock work to it. It was cut down 2 more inches for a smaller child, so if I pin and epoxy the other piece on I can use a slip on and cover the seam.

Ken, now that you mention it, godzilla did not have much punch to it.

You know, by the time I get done with all of this I will probably come across a deal on a 20ga semi and buy one anyway, but what the hell. It is quality tinker time.

Thanks guys