jermz1987

S&W Walther PPK/S?

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with these guns. a friend of mine at the station has one and she is selling it. I saw it and its in perfect shape. She said shes fired about 300 rounds through it without any problems. Ive read a few reviews and they have all been mixed. So anyone have one? By the way she wants 450 for it with 4 mags, 2 holsters and the original box with everything that came in it.

PPK versus PPK/S (from Wikipedia)

The PPK/S was developed following the enactment of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA68) in the United States, the pistol's largest market (Hogg 1979:164). One of the provisions of GCA68 banned the importation of pistols and revolvers not meeting certain requirements of length, weight, and other "sporting" features into the U.S. The PPK failed the "Import Points" test of the GCA68 by a single point. Walther addressed this situation by combining the PP's frame with the PPK's barrel and slide to create a pistol that weighed slightly more than the PPK. The additional ounce or two of weight of the PPK/S compared to the PPK was sufficient to provide the extra needed import points.

Because U.S. law allowed domestic production (as opposed to importation) of the PPK, manufacture began under license in the U.S. in 1978; this version was distributed by Interarms. The version currently manufactured by Smith and Wesson has been improved by incorporating a longer grip tang, better protecting the shooter from slide bite, i.e. the rearward-travelling slide's pinching the firing hand, which was a problem with the original design.

The PPK/S differs from the PPK as follows:

* overall height of 104 mm (4.1 in)

* weight

I'm familiar with PPK's. I like them from a nostalgia point of view and 'cause they're well made although there was a recent recall from S&W. They're made in the same plant as the Model 41's not the main plant in Springfield, MA. The thing of it is, if you plan on using it for off-duty carry or backup, there are many, many newer choices around. I also have a Kahr PM9 which has relatively the same dimensions but in a 9mm platform and a shock-absorbing polymer lower which also lightens the weight. It will really come down to your personal preference. You can't go wrong with a PPK, afterall James Bond had one (to the dismay M and Q) and A. Hitler offed himself with one.

While the name might be the same, parts are not totally interchangeable. It is made in their facility up in Houlton Maine while is about twenty feet from the Canadian border.

It would not be a firearm I'd choose for serious work. I carried by German PPK/s for years as a secondary firearm and it functioned flawlessly. The same cannot be said for the newer models even prior to the S&W takeover.

If hundred percent reliability isn't an issue, then if the price is right it might be a good deal.