Sign in to follow this  
matty

Keltec SU-16CA

Anyone have one of these or shot one? Since handguns are so annoyingly difficult to get in NJ, I am thinking of one of these as I get more into rifles. I dont want an AR per se, but these do have some parts that are similar, plus the tricksy factor of the folding and built in bipod. A question on the threaded barrel, is that OK to ship to NJ as is? I would get a MB/comp for it anyway. Just gathering opinions....

all depends on what you want out of the rifle.. in my most humble opinion i would rather have a Saiga than that thing any day.. i have handled a few of those and they just didnt feel all that solid to me..

Yeah, I am hoping to actually handle and maybe shoot one so I can make my mind up. The threaded barrel bit may be an issue, as it already has a folding stock, sort of, making two evil features. I emailed Keltec to see if there was a way to get that model with a permanent muzzle brake. The pix & parts list show a threaded barrel plus a cap that goes onto it, looks like a knurled type thing. I would assume that wouldn't cut the mustard for NJ.

The other alternative is an SKS, but I lean towards brand new, rather than milsurp, already have one old rifle & handgun

Actually.. I think you are OK with the Evil Features list.

The folding stock doesn't count because you can't fire the weapon with the stock folded (The Sub-2000 is Legal in NJ)

So you only have one evil feature (the threaded barrel).

Similarly to how the M1A is legal (with a threaded barrel) because it doesn't have a pistol grip. (Unless you do the sage kit).

No threaded barrels allowed in NJ

If the rifle has two other features already, you can't have a threaded barrel.

The rifle in question, the Kel-Tec SU16 CA, does not have a pistol grip, only the ability to accept a detachable magazine. It's perfectly fine in NJ with a threaded barrel.

If you're looking for a good .223 in NJ I'd say the SU-16ca is hard to beat. Built in bipod, magazine storage in the stock, folds up nice a compact, good gun.

If you're looking for a caliber other than .223, say something a little beefier like .308 or 7.62x39 I'd say go with a Saiga.

As a beginning shooter, a Saiga in a beefier caliber would be great for you too. It starts off nice and simple and then if you want a project you can turn it into one, there's tons you can do with those rifles.

I did find an SU-16CA, and am happy with it so far. I put a Levang comp on it, and a cheap scope, which I have returned for a replacement. I will see how that works out, if it breaks again I will spend more for a better piece of glass. The rifle works well, takes AR mags I bought. Easy to disassemble and clean. Light, low recoil, lighter than my 10/22 actually, and shorter :o . The bipod-front handguard thing is something of novelty item,it does work, but is not the most stable thing. I bought it because I wanted something different and was interested in how well the plas---er polymer construction will hold up.Will probably also buy an AR or SKS sometime in the next two years or so. Only have about 180 rds thru, due to lack of time to shoot, so far so good.

Ammo wise, the PMC bronze and Armscor M855 have worked without a hitch, the Brown Beasrsh*T was the only ones that gave me FTF or FTE.

One nit I have is that it is a huge PITA to clean the chamber locking lugs. the barrel does not come off, and with the bolt carrier and gas piston assy removed, and takedown pin out, it is still difficult to get in there even with a Chamber Maid tool. I have OCD when it comes to clean barrels and chambers :D

My own opinion, as always, check the Internet (KTOG forums) for more opinions and good luck!