Sign in to follow this  
BCeagle

Anyone read the Record, 5 months no permit?!?

A surprisingly well-balanced, even very slightly pro article. No expounding on how guns are bad, no trickery to try to game the system, and a very nice reminder that the Brady Bunch likes the current NJ laws, implying that they don't need to be any stricter, and that Arizona might be a better target for their ire.

It also points out the statutory time limitations of the law, and goes on to say that in spite of them, the time it takes is at the discretion of the issuing department.

Silver Bullet Frank has been getting a lot of ink lately. I hope he doesn't say something stupid.

K

The only problem I have with the article is towards the end.

Frank mentions that NJ is a "May Issue", not a "Shall Issue" state.

This has nothing to do with handgun permitting. It makes it look like a Superior court judge decides if you get to buy a handgun. It suggests that people who want a handgun have to take a class, shoot your gun and appear before a judge.

Is this deliberate? Is he attempting to obfuscate the process?

Concealed carry is mentioned nowhere else in the article. May issue and Shall issue are related to CCW, I've never heard it applied to getting the gun itself. This last part is completely non-sequitur.

Frank Vuono, who owns The Silver Bullet, a gun shop in Rockaway, said New Jersey is a "may issue" state compared to a "shall issue" state.

"In Jersey the final say is with the Superior Court judge in whatever county you live in," he said.

Superior Court Judge Thomas V. Manahan hears gun permit rejection appeals in Morristown.

"You get the application from your town police, then you appear before the judge and someone from the Prosecutor's Office

Perhaps some heavy handed editing? I'm pretty sure Frank knows the difference between FPID/P2P and CCW. The editors may have sterilized any pro- (or even non anti-) CCW references in the original article, and failed to make the connection. Troy, what subject did you talk to the reporter about?

K

Perhaps some heavy handed editing? I'm pretty sure Frank knows the difference between FPID/P2P and CCW. The editors may have sterilized any pro- (or even non anti-) CCW references in the original article, and failed to make the connection. Troy, what subject did you talk to the reporter about?

K

I was on the phone about 20min, just giving opinions on legal gun owner uses of firearms, and my personal history of time it takes to get FID and Purchase permits. He asked what i owned and what my uses were. I also invited him to come to our forum and get more info.

I guess with Rockaway Twp. being so easy to get FID's and PP's.... I was a non-factor in his article.