Sign in to follow this  
tony357

fire breathing 44 mags..

reloaded 25 rounds of 44 mag with blue dot powder for the dessert eagle to see what type of muzzle flash it may yield. most powders have been chemically changed to reduce muzzle flash, i think the blue dot may not be reconstructed to reduce muzzle flash.

240 GR FP 13.4 GR bluedot CCI std primer.

Did some reading on the desert eagle forum and those guy's are using H110 and getting big flashes from their 50AE.

44magbluedotfire.jpg

240 GR FP 13.4 GR bluedot CCI std primer.

I haven't reloaded in a while (uhhhh, 20 years) but if I recall, that's actually a bit light. I guess manuals have gotten more conservative and/or they may have reformulated the powder, but I remember using 16.5 grs of Blue Dot behind a 240 gr TMJ for silhouette. Shot it out of a SBH and also a Model 29. What do the current manuals list as max for a 240 gr bullet?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The disparity was so great (13.7 grs. v. 16.5 grs.) that I went down and dug through some old boxes and found a label on a box I used for .44 mag. It was indeed 16.5 grs. but it was behind a Speer 3/4 jacketed soft point. Not that that should have made much of a difference - actually that bullet had a really long bearing surface. I was never one for exceeding the loading manuals of the time and, being a Speer bullet, I probably got that load from either Speer #8 or Speer #9 loading manual - someday I'll dig deeper and find one of those in my unpacked reloading boxes.

Given Alliant's safety bulletin (it was Hercules when I used the load in question), it may not have been a change in powder composition, but more likely a more accurate method or equipment for measuring the pressure curve. They may have found that it spiked rather than have a more evenly distributed curve and dialed back max loadings - that was probably done prior to the issuance of the bulletin, but most likely was a contributing factor.

By no means am I advocating the use of the 16.5 grain load - use current reloading data only.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PIZZA BOB,

DONT USE THESE LOADS THEY WILL BE AN OVERCHARGE.

JUST LOOKED IN AN OLD HERCULES POWDER MANUAL. IT IS MUCH HIGHER THAN THEY PUBLISH NOW.

FRONT PAGE SAYS 1983 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED,, BLUE FRONT COVER. AND I STILL REFER TO THIS MANUAL SOMETIMES? MAYBE I SHOULD PUT IT OUT TO PASTURE IT ALSO LISTS THOSE 41 MAG LOADS FOR THE BLUE DOT THAT THEY SAY NOT TO USE ANY MORE..

1. 180 JACKETED 17.4

2. 225 JACKETED 15.3

3. 240 JSP 16.0

4. 265 JFP 14.1

JUST SCANNED IT TO COMPUTER.

IMG-17.jpg

oh you guys are quite humorous. I cant help it that im young and good looking. Its ok your allowed to be jealous.

im? Really Matt? im good looking? WTFIRWY! Followed nearly immediately by improper usage of your? I hope your math is better than your english. I wouldn't want you misplacing a decimal when you're reloading, otherwise, KaMATT!!! :o

oh you guys are quite humorous. I cant help it that im young and good looking. Its ok your allowed to be jealous.

im? Really Matt? im good looking? WTFIRWY! Followed nearly immediately by improper usage of your? I hope your math is better than your english. I wouldn't want you misplacing a decimal when you're reloading, otherwise, KaMATT!!! :o

Well technically you should of capitalized the E in English if you want to be Mr. English Teacher! And I was posting from a cell phone, sorry but grammar doesn't apply when your on a cell phone. :)

Now stop derailing poor Tony's thread.

Tony how did these babies shoot. Did you get a flame?