Sign in to follow this  
nonova0074

Lawmans in Paterson NJ

Anyone know what happened to lawmans?? I called i guess they closed the shop they had the best pricing around. The only thing was you had to be a LEO to get into the door. Another nice thing was that it was 3.5% sales tax cause paterson is a city. Now I have to find a new store.

Lawmen's Supply main store is in Egg Harbor in South (what a North Jersey boy considers to be South anyway) Jersey. You might want to make the trip. It does stink if the one in Paterson is closed. That's where I got my Glock 34 through the GSSF discount.

Yeah! It's a sin they're gone. They had good stock, no BS and sold at LEO pricing to retired military. I'll be travelling to Egg Harbor.

When you corral yourself to a small niche market, you take a certain risk. Had they opened themselves to all FID holders, they probably would have had enough business to keep them on the map until everyone knew they were there.

Yeah! It's a sin they're gone. They had good stock, no BS and sold at LEO pricing to retired military. I'll be travelling to Egg Harbor.

When you corral yourself to a small niche market, you take a certain risk. Had they opened themselves to all FID holders, they probably would have had enough business to keep them on the map until everyone knew they were there.

You're right they were a niche (boutique) dealer. All LEO stuff no sporting goods. They are a pretty big outfit I think Glock disrtibutor in like four states.

It was convenient in Paterson. BTW they sold to the public as well. I think a small part of their revenue was private sales.

When you corral yourself to a small niche market

Far from a niche market. Lawman's is one of the largest LE suppliers in two states. You have no idea what the makeup of the company is based on that comment as their main sales income isn't from firearms and the profit margin in that area is slim. But they make it up in volume and with sales in other areas.

Far from a niche market. Lawman's is one of the largest LE suppliers in two states. You have no idea what the makeup of the company is based on that comment as their main sales income isn't from firearms and the profit margin in that area is slim. But they make it up in volume and with sales in other areas.

Lawmans NJ, DE MD. lots of department sales and LE equiptment. They are not a sporting goods store. Yes low margins on department and individual gun sales. Good margin on equipment and asccessories. We had a shop years ago and you wouldn't believe the slim margin on department sales of firearms.

You see those Korean Glock magazines out there? I heard the story was Glock sold them the guns real cheap to get the contract and then tried to shaft them on the magazines so they made their own. But, it's just a story! LOL

Then why open a small storefront just outside of downtown Paterson? It certainly was not a fulfillment center or a warehouse operation, it was a rinky dink storefront, my best guesstimate was less than 1000 sq ft, with virtually no road visibility. It was almost guaranteed to fail in that location and geared ONLY to LEO on top of it...

Then why open a small storefront just outside of downtown Paterson? It certainly was not a fulfillment center or a warehouse operation, it was a rinky dink storefront, my best guesstimate was less than 1000 sq ft, with virtually no road visibility. It was almost guaranteed to fail in that location and geared ONLY to LEO on top of it...

Hey! I'm not privy to their business plan! Obviously something didn't work out. Please realize the cost of doing business in NJ, especially the gun business. Remember Navy Arms? Years ago Val Forgett told me it was more expensive for him to get a shipment of arms from Port Newark to Ridgefield, about 15 miles, than it was to get the same shipment from the Port of Baltimore to West Virginia, where they are now. Oh, and yes I know Val has been dead for years.

Why open there? Because they are in the middle of some of the largest police departments in the state, most with over a hundred per department, many over two hundred. The profit on uniforms make firearms sales a joke. Two pair of uniform pants bring them more profit than a handgun sale. The also are the holder of the NJ State Contract for many LE items. One department sale of handguns for new hires in the past can mean a sale of twenty or more. So why bother with private sales? If they wanted those sales, they needed a ,location in northern NJ. No one wanted to travel to Egg Harbor. Now with the slowdown, they moved out as department sales are all done over the phone and shipped in. Add to that since Ray closed, they picked up all that business from those counties which are a lot closer to Egg Harbor.

Why open there? Because they are in the middle of some of the largest police departments in the state, most with over a hundred per department, many over two hundred. The profit on uniforms make firearms sales a joke. Two pair of uniform pants bring them more profit than a handgun sale. The also are the holder of the NJ State Contract for many LE items. One department sale of handguns for new hires in the past can mean a sale of twenty or more. So why bother with private sales? If they wanted those sales, they needed a ,location in northern NJ. No one wanted to travel to Egg Harbor. Now with the slowdown, they moved out as department sales are all done over the phone and shipped in. Add to that since Ray closed, they picked up all that business from those counties which are a lot closer to Egg Harbor.

Thanks for making my point for me.

Sales are down because a new uniform shop opened and they lost sales. Handgun sales were never a big part of that operation. Most sales went through the Egg Harbor location. As with Ray's operation, firearm sales to civilians didn't keep the place profitable. Quite possible they were forced into opening a local shop to get the municipal business in those large towns.

They didn't spend a fortune in the physical structure. The business deal ends, they close. Really very simple. If they wanted successful branch with a significant amount of business from non-LE, they would have put it in Paterson. The one decent range/dealer couldn't make in in that town and left.