A628 Establishes confidential data base to assist State Police in issuance of firearms purchaser identification cards and handgun purchase permits.

That sounds rather ominous...

A1809 Makes it a crime to sell or possess products or materials designed to alter firearms to look like toy guns

Huh? So, if I have a can of Krylon I can get locked up?

Thousands of bills are proposed. Few see the light of day.

I tend to wonder what materials they consider as banned that would be usable in making a gun look like a toy? Somewhat open ended. I don't agree with the Airsoft legislation and see both going nowhere.

I would say most bills just langush until their death. Few actually make it all the way and I feel that many politicians simply write them to give the impression to the voters that they are actually doing something.

Very true "Thousands of bills are proposed. Few see the light of day" as you say

Unfortunately, complacency is the reason for many more bills passing...

Not to mention that the dullards in Trenton have no idea what they are voting for, but if it's anti-RKBA, they're all for it.

A628 Establishes confidential data base to assist State Police in issuance of firearms purchaser identification cards and handgun purchase permits.

I haven't looked into what that actually means. While many watch TV and feel that information is available that easily and quickly, most databases accessed by NJ authorities are not linked. That means logging out of one and into another to get the information needed to administered the issuance of permits. It's a pain in the butt. If this streamlines the process, it could be helpful.

It's not like most information on any resident already isn't stored on a database somewhere.

theres also A988 Establishes "gun-free" and "weapon free" zones around certain school and public properties.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2010/Bills ... 988_I1.HTM

I skipped all the legal talk and went to the statement so maybe I'm misreading but it talks about illegal weapons and then it says

Any person who possesses any weapon within 1,000 feet of a school, college or university building or facility, or while on a school bus, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree. A crime of the fourth degree is punishable by imprisonment for a term of up to 18 months, a fine of up to $10,000, or both.

Does this mean I can't own a handgun because I live a block away from a school? If so this belongs on the naughty list.

I'm in the same boat as you. I live 2 short blocks from a school. So does this mean I have to get rid of my guns?

I hate these knee jerk reaction laws.

Just a thought as "any weapon" can be interpreted as a even a baseball bat. See viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4764&start=0&hilit=union+county+sheriff

Can baseball no longer be played near a public place without someone getting arrested?

That BB bill needs to move to the BAD list - read how it defines excluded BB guns. Arguably airsoft markers would be bundled into firearms (missile larger than .177 in and possibly on the FPS as well) and what happens if you happen to be using spire-point pellets in your BB gun?

It shall not include any air gun or pistol which uses air, compressed air or carbon dioxide as the propelling force to eject a ball or non-pointed pellet that does not exceed .177 caliber at a muzzle velocity of less than 500 feet per second, commonly referred to as a BB gun.