Sign in to follow this  
Kevin

black powder

Hello, this is a great forum. I've posted a couple questions, and have gotten really good advice. Here is another question, does New Jersey treat black powder rifles as firearms or antiques, since there are no commercial cartridges available? You know, here in Illinois, black powder rifles are treated like any other rifles.

I guess a follow up question is, are there many places to shoot black powder?

Thanks, Kevin

Hello, this is a great forum. I've posted a couple questions, and have gotten really good advice. Here is another question, does New Jersey treat black powder rifles as firearms or antiques, since there are no commercial cartridges available? You know, here in Illinois, black powder rifles are treated like any other rifles.

I guess a follow up question is, are there many places to shoot black powder?

Thanks, Kevin

I know for sure you can shoot Black Powder to your heart's content at Old Bridge, there's even a league for it. I'm pretty sure most of the outdoor ranges allow it.

If you decided to try and join a private club, shop around. Some clubs only allow the wholly black to be used on certain ranges, at certain times, from what I've found.

-A fellow Darksider.

:twisted:

That's thoroughly retarded. The synthetic stuff is supposed to be safer than regular black.

Or are you saying only for like cowboy action matches for authenticity?

Although I agree that you shouldn't use Pyrodex when you have Goex or 777 available.

Cherry Ridge allows black powder.

From their website.

Rules for Black Powder Firearms

Only black powder or black powder substitutes may be used and they are not allowed in the clubhouse. No smoking within 8 feet of black powder.

All loading will be done from pre-measured loads.

Pre-measured, self-contained loads only may be used on the firing line.

All capping and priming will be done on the firing line only.

No duplex loads are to be used in muzzleloaders.

Flintlocks must use a flash shield on the pan.

All powder cans and horns must be kept closed and on the loading bench.

When target changes are requested, any muzzleloader not in the firing process will be unprimed and put in the rifle rack at the loading bench, with its muzzle pointing up.

If a muzzleloader is fouled and cannot be cleared, it must be flooded with water before leaving the range area. Contact a Range Officer for assistance.

If you decided to try and join a private club, shop around. Some clubs only allow the wholly black to be used on certain ranges, at certain times, from what I've found.

-A fellow Darksider.

That's thoroughly retarded. The synthetic stuff is supposed to be safer than regular black.

That's what the some of the folks who run Steel Challenge at Old Bridge told me. I shoot Swiss through my 1911 for Wild Bunch, and asked if I could use it there. They said house rules was black powder/subs only on the black powder range, at certain times of the month. That's why I won't join there.

I heard there were restrictions at the club in Hackettstown as well.

The places I shoot in PA have only one restriction, it's used only outdoors.

-A fellow Darksider.

That's what the some of the folks who run Steel Challenge at Old Bridge told me. I shoot Swiss through my 1911 for Wild Bunch, and asked if I could use it there. They said house rules was black powder/subs only on the black powder range, at certain times of the month. That's why I won't join there.

I heard there were restrictions at the club in Hackettstown as well.

The places I shoot in PA have only one restriction, it's used only outdoors.

Steel Challenge? The matches that are hosted by World Class Steel?

If so, World Class steel is it's own club/organization, and basically just use Old Bridge's range.

I can't speak for all of the matches, but Old Bridge itself allows you to shoot Black Powder whenever you want for casual open shooting. They even have a very friendly muzzle loader's league which shoots the first and third Sundays of the month.