Lottalead

My father is giving me 3 of his handguns.....

I believe legally, if you are a NJ resident and your father is a PA resident, then the transfer must take place at a NJ based FFL, and that you would need to wait 30 days in between each transfer.

Thanks.

Another question: How is the transfer to be handled? Can Dad drive the handguns over to our local shop where we can meet and do paperwork or is this going to get even more involved? The way things have gone thus far I am betting on the latter...

I believe legally, if you are a NJ resident and your father is a PA resident, then the transfer must take place at a NJ based FFL, and that you would need to wait 30 days in between each transfer.

Thanks.

Another question: How is the transfer to be handled? Can Dad drive the handguns over to our local shop where we can meet and do paperwork or is this going to get even more involved? The way things have gone thus far I am betting on the latter...

Check with your choice of shop, but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't do a transfer with both parties present. You would have to pay the FFL's transfer fee (Usually around $25 to $40) plus NJ State NICS background check ($16.05).

Our FFL's here on the board should be able to help you out with that.

Edit: I don't know what the handguns are, but just make sure that they are legal in NJ, and no magazines over 15 rounds. Then your father can bring them across the border in accordance with the federal fair transit law. (Essentially Unloaded and in the trunk or cased and locked).

No, it doesn't have to be specifically spelled out.

Whoever is the recipient of the deceases property would inherit the firearm. Of course they must be legally eligible to receive the firearm(s). As pointed out, this assumes it is a intrastate transfer.

We did a few through the my department. Not a big deal.

it would have to be written in the will?

If it is outside the normal transfer of property after death it will have to be. I became involved in just such a suit when a very large collection was to be transfered to someone other then the next of kin.

Just let me know where to send me name and address for inclusion into your will. :whistle:

Thanks.

Check with your choice of shop, but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't do a transfer with both parties present. You would have to pay the FFL's transfer fee (Usually around $25 to $40) plus NJ State NICS background check ($16.05).

Our FFL's here on the board should be able to help you out with that.

Edit: I don't know what the handguns are, but just make sure that they are legal in NJ, and no magazines over 15 rounds. Then your father can bring them across the border in accordance with the federal fair transit law. (Essentially Unloaded and in the trunk or cased and locked).

Thanks for the help. 3 of the 4 firearms are now transferred.